Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dual Channel 8GB vs Flex mode 12GB

Hello!

Currently I do have a Lenovo y520 laptop which originally runs 8gb 2400mhz DDR4 ram. Also, I do have additional 2x4GB 2400MHZ DDR4 ram sticks and I do not make up my mind on how should I have those ram used. Also, the 8gb and 2x4GB ram sticks are from different brands.

If I run those 2x4GB sticks, they run in dual-channel normally and CPU-Z states so. (Also it shows CAS 16)

If I stick 1x4GB and 8GB stick together, CPU-Z shows that it is running in dual channel mode too. As I have read, in such cases it should run in this FLEX mode, where 8 gigs of RAM should work in dual channel, while the left 4 should run in the normal single channel mode. Also, when running in the FLEX mode, CPU-Z shows CAS 18 as opposed to the CAS 16 timing when running 4gb ram sticks together. 

I want to ask whether someone has any experience in this, as I am not sure whether using these different RAM sticks will cause any issues to my system in a long run? Also, is the CAS tradeoff noticeable in gaming (as the main thing I am doing with this laptop is gaming)? There are a few games I play that could benefit from some more ram than 8gb, but I am not sure whether that higher CAS latency is noticeable.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm interested in this topic too, how did you go?

Does anybody can answer?