what features of older Windows versions do you miss most?

Ashley MLP Fangirl

I miss sheep.exe, back in the day we used to use it as in impromptu and simple benchmark for the universities intel based machines. 

It was not uncommon to see a sheep and a number drawn on the bezel of monitors with a sharpie, much to the chagrin of the IT dept, telling potential users in the know how many instances of sheep.exe the machine could run without performance degradation, and thus whether to use it properly, or just use it as a thin client to connect to one of the many Sun machines running 24/7 elsewhere.

Thinking back, the Suns had more ram than the majority of the intel machines had hard drive capacity, why did we ever do anything but use them as thin clients?

9 hours ago, homeap5 said:

1. Classic view in win7 disables desktop composition, which was bad.

2. It's possible.

3. It's possible too, look on internet for it.

1. I like it though. :)

2. If you're talking about going to regedit or policy editor or services to disable Windows Updates, I don't really believe those work.  I just really liked the "absolute no" option in Windows Updates of Windows 8.1 and lower.

3. It's only possible AFTER you get to the login screen of Windows and then you hold down on the shift key and click on restart option and then you get access to Safe Mode options.  Just too much hoops to go through IMHO.  The straight up just powering on the computer and tapping F8 is gone for good.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

5 minutes ago, grss1982 said:

1. I like it though. :)

2. If you're talking about going to regedit or policy editor or services to disable Windows Updates, I don't really believe those work.  I just really liked the "absolute no" option in Windows Updates of Windows 8.1 and lower.

3. It's only possible AFTER you get to the login screen of Windows and then you hold down on the shift key and click on restart option and then you get access to Safe Mode options.  Just too much hoops to go through IMHO.  The straight up just powering on the computer and tapping F8 is gone for good.

2. No, I'm talking about more aggressive methods, but I agree that it's fighting against os.

3. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22455-enable-disable-f8-advanced-boot-options-windows-10-a.html

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/safe-mode-in-windows-8