what features of older Windows versions do you miss most?

Ashley MLP Fangirl

what features of older Windows versions do you miss most in Windows 10?

i miss the better update control. this should still exist in Windows 10:

Capture.PNG.750c3202eb2d6b4a135696530503c24d.PNG

(don't ask why my Windows color is set to pink, i like pink ok, don't hate)

She/Her

The fast shutdown with  Windows-key > right arrow > Enter. ( Windows 7 ) not really a feature but more a layout thing.

Also the fact that it didn't really shut down for a periode was annoying...

And startup preferences with MSconfig instead of using the Services to do that for applications.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Probably full control over services. Full control - I mean possibility to disable (almost) every service and keep it that way.

Rest features? I see not so big differences between any version of Windows since Vista. Maybe because I'm using lot of non-microsoft tools for work and I don't care so much about Windows built-in features (like Explorer, Start Menu, Image Viewer, movie player, music player, email client, browser etc). Even for calendar I'm using other tool that built-in.

Have to go back to earlier SP of Win2k, but I don't want none of that "this file came from the internet and may mug your mum, are you sure you want it?" type warnings.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Have to go back to earlier SP of Win2k, but I don't want none of that "this file came from the internet and may mug your mum, are you sure you want it?" type warnings.

Yeah windows is full of "don't put your hamster in the microwave" kind of warnings that should be common sense.

but still if they don't want to get sued this is a necessary evil. 

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

The WinNT UI.

Personal preference, WinNT was the apex of Microsoft's OS, it's been all downhill since then.

Also, the old website that gave you updates as single files you could choose which ones to install, or not install.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, monjessenstein said:

Might sound stupid, but I honestly miss the built-in minesweeper.

i only just noticed that it's gone, even in Windows 8.1... Windows 7 still had it right? 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i only just noticed that it's gone, even in Windows 8.1... Windows 7 still had it right? 

Yeah I think they got rid of it after 7. Sometimes still try and find it from the start menu out of habit.

1 minute ago, Settlerteo said:

The default desktop wallpaper on first boot.

this one i don't understand. what version of Windows are you talking about here?

She/Her

Just now, monjessenstein said:

Yeah I think they got rid of it after 7. Sometimes still try and find it from the start menu out of habit.

i just checked, and you can install it from the MS store. so you can have it back. 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

this one i don't understand. what version of Windows are you talking about here?

From Win 98 through Win 7

The 1st PC I bought years ago (like mid 2000s) had Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, I miss the version of Windows Movie Maker that was included in that, though I've gotten used to the Windows 7 version of Movie Maker so I don't miss it as much.

Also the UI for XP is somthing I miss.

• Control of the system installation that let's me choose which components to install, similar to Windows Server
  • Windows updates control
  • Lighter UI, not an useless one with double the control panels with all the Metro thing.

Updates control. XP era disk defrag tool with modern options. Win7 image viewer. Movie Maker. More Win7 style start menu; I don't mind tiles, but I would like software search to be integrated rather than using another menu for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, FastRDust said:

Also the fact that it didn't really shut down for a periode was annoying

If you are referring to the "fast start-up" that W10 introduced, where the computer hibernates rather than actually shutting down, that is still the default setting.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:43 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Win7 image viewer.

This guide should fix that for you: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-windows-photo-viewer-back-in-windows-10/

On 10/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, Radium_Angel said:

The WinNT UI.

Personal preference, WinNT was the apex of Microsoft's OS, it's been all downhill since then.

Also, the old website that gave you updates as single files you could choose which ones to install, or not install.

I loved NT :) You had so much more control on it than the newer stuff.

Lack of bloatware.

17 second boot time on a mechanical drive.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

5 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

I loved NT :) You had so much more control on it than the newer stuff.

Yup, and getting USB to work was just icing on the cake (yes, USB did work once you patched the system to 6a and installed the subset written by, of all things, Dell. Got a full USB stack. It was glorious.)

Sadly, the lack of DirectX beyond...IIRC...6, killed it as an option for gaming. Then of course was the refusal to backport any features, like ActiveX, and such, nailed the coffin shut. Shame really...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, firelighter487 said:

what features of older Windows versions do you miss most in Windows 10?

i miss the better update control. this should still exist in Windows 10:

Capture.PNG.750c3202eb2d6b4a135696530503c24d.PNG

(don't ask why my Windows color is set to pink, i like pink ok, don't hate)

1) Full on "ugly" classic view from Windows XP and Windows 7.

2) The option to never check for updates. EVER. Like what we had in Windows 8.1 and lower.

3) The F8 key from Windows 7 and below, which allowed you to access safe mode a lot easier.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

11 hours ago, grss1982 said:

1) Full on "ugly" classic view from Windows XP and Windows 7.

2) The option to never check for updates. EVER. Like what we had in Windows 8.1 and lower.

3) The F8 key from Windows 7 and below, which allowed you to access safe mode a lot easier.

1. Classic view in win7 disables desktop composition, which was bad.

2. It's possible.

3. It's possible too, look on internet for it.