Hacked iDrive / MMI Control Element

cluelessgenius

so i was tinkering around on the py and found BlueZ letting me emulate a bluetooth keyboard. 

now im looking into making myself a remote media control for my phone in the car. no audio since im connecting that via AUX for the Quad DAC in my phone but just a keyboard for controlling media playback (and maybe more?).

the problem is i need a Control Interface. a Knob / Joystick / MMI and so on. heres what i mean and what im trying to replicate to some degree.

image.png.b9dc10bace372faaea5f3d04472e2712.png

image.png.edc125d25fbc9e0ee03f2f7d8f1b5c5b.png

so does anyone know what kind of sensor/knob type i could use to replicate this or should i just try buying a BMW part and hacking the CAN/LIN Bus?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I guess traditional app for mouse and keyboard in the Google Play won't be recognised ?

Does your car support Bluetooth connection ? Because AUX won't be able to cut it for you.

-
Okay I was reading a bit and on theory you're able to transmit data over the AUX but I don't think you're car would be able to execute the commands

Would be best to share what is your equipment and car model.

" AUX - It is an interface that permits a PC or other device to transmit or receive data one bit at a time. Generally, the AUX port on a PC is computer port 1 (COM1), which is the first serial port with a preconfigured assignment for serial devices."

Edited by voiha
additional info

7 minutes ago, voiha said:

I guess traditional app for mouse and keyboard in the Google Play won't be recognised ?

Does your car support Bluetooth connection ? Because AUX won't be able to cut it for you.

dont understand what ou mean by either of those sentences. 

i have my phone on a magnetic holder with aux connected and its running fine. 

now im just thinking about making a bluetooth "keyboard" so ai can switch songs or pause/play or whatever without using the touch screen while driving

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3