ASUS ROG Strix GL503GE screen oversaturated reds and yellows

I recently purchased the GL503GE version of the ASUS ROG family and have been impressed by the performance and the thermals of this device. The screen is impressive thanks to the 120Hz IPS panel but I have been having trouble calibrating the colors properly.

The reds and yellows seem to be oversaturated/over-pronounced to a point that it looks as if it's a neon sign (attached screen shot for reference). After doing a ton of research on settings that could possibly help, I found out that NVIDIA drivers have a color vibrance setting that tends to have similar effects. But it didn't work for me as the display is hooked up with the intel integrated graphics. I tried all possible calibrations with Windows settings and intel but couldn't get the desired results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.PNG

the panel should have a color calibrating within it own firmware that will allow you to adjust the balance of Green, Blue, and Red.

nvm, i looked up the display and realized it was a laptop

What you're using is a Wide Gamut Display.

Some basic info regarding this topic.

1) Web content use sRGB color space.

2) Your monitor has 94% NTSC color space, which is 30% extra of sRGB. (Product description on Asus website : 130% sRGB).

3) MS Windows is not a "color managed" OS.

4) Windows icons, web media (icons, pics and videos) will appear over saturated because windows can't color manage and display actual color values.

5) You'll see actual colors only in color calibrated apps, like Photoshop, Lightroom, Firefox browser with photos which have "embedded" color profiles and use color management software.

6) What's happening is that your browser is telling OS to display 100% red and windows is telling display to display its 100% red. And as your display can show more than sRGB red value, it's showing over saturated red colors.

PS : Apple's Mac OS is a color managed OS meaning that it'll show extra colors only where they're present and will not over saturate the normal sRGB values.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 1:19 PM, TechAlex said:

What you're using is a Wide Gamut Display.

Some basic info regarding this topic.

1) Web content use sRGB color space.

2) Your monitor has 94% NTSC color space, which is 30% extra of sRGB. (Product description on Asus website : 130% sRGB).

3) MS Windows is not a "color managed" OS.

4) Windows icons, web media (icons, pics and videos) will appear over saturated because windows can't color manage and display actual color values.

5) You'll see actual colors only in color calibrated apps, like Photoshop, Lightroom, Firefox browser with photos which have "embedded" color profiles and use color management software.

6) What's happening is that your browser is telling OS to display 100% red and windows is telling display to display its 100% red. And as your display can show more than sRGB red value, it's showing over saturated red colors.

PS : Apple's Mac OS is a color managed OS meaning that it'll show extra colors only where they're present and will not over saturate the normal sRGB values.

Thank you so much for the info. You are correct about the sRGB color gamut and my screen does have 130% sRGB coverage. That makes me understand the reason behind the oversaturation. What I want to know is, if it's possible to calibrate the colors with ICC profiles on Windows 10 because the saturated reds are making me blind

• 1 year later...