Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WIndows 10 from SSD to PCIE NVME M.2

Alda14

Hello, I will be purchasing a 250gb Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280. I currently have a a Samsung 860 evo as a boot drive and  1TB Samsung 860 EVO as a boot drive. I was wondering what would be the best way to set up the M.2 drive as my new boot drive? Would I clone the 860 EVO to the 970 or is a clean install of windows a better option? Also, while researching PCIE NVME drives, I read that in order to use them as boot drives I would have to boot in UEFI mode. Does this apply here? If so how do I do it?

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

if ur OS isnt UEFI currently then there is no way to clone.

I dont think I am, so would a clean install be the better option?

I'm not really sure about your situation but i successfully cloned my Windows 10 from my old boot SSD to my 970 EVO M.2 2280 a while back.

For that i used Samsung Data Migration software.

BTW , since you have a Z170 motherboard (if your profile is up to date) it should support NVME boot out of the box.

Even my Z97 supported it so i don't see why you couldn't boot from it.

8 hours ago, Mholes said:

BTW , since you have a Z170 motherboard (if your profile is up to date) it should support NVME boot out of the box.

Even my Z97 supported it so i don't see why you couldn't boot from it.

Sorry it is not updated, I currently run an 8700K on an Asus Maximus X Hero mobo, 16 gb Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz, Asus Strix 1080ti OC. with the storage drives mentioned. So would I still be able to boot from the NVME drive out of the box? I would just have to do a clean install of windows? 

On 10/19/2018 at 10:43 PM, Alda14 said:

Sorry it is not updated, I currently run an 8700K on an Asus Maximus X Hero mobo, 16 gb Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz, Asus Strix 1080ti OC. with the storage drives mentioned. So would I still be able to boot from the NVME drive out of the box? I would just have to do a clean install of windows? 

Sorry for the super late response, yes you should be able to boot from it.

Unless you have to enable it from the BIOS, mine had it enabled.