MUST READ BEFORE YOU BUY!

Eddie099

Ok, you’ve done it! You’ve decided to either upgrade your box or build your very own PC gaming beast. Obviously , its not as easy just walking into walmart and deciding Blue or Green. Its a lot more complex then that. And of course, the ultimate goal is still the same, play games. So, how much of whats out there is actually true, necessary, and a must for gamers. The answer lies in your wallet. How much have you set aside and what are your expectations. Now, keep in mind that when purchasing or building a gaming rig, three things are crucial.

Monitor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

1.   If you’re looking to game at Ultra 4k with all the settings in the game at max and having that eye candy look good onscreen, prepare to spend about 800-1200 dollars. Specially if you’re looking to buy a Nvidia card and would like Gsync. Keep in mind however that a 2560 x1440 display is actually 500 dollars and will still look good. Very good. 

Size is also a factor to consider. You can get an Ultra 4k 27” monitor for the price of a 32” 2560x1440 monitor. But believe me, size matters. You will enjoy your gaming experience a whole lot better on the 32” then on the 27. Its more immersive and provides a better field of view on almost any game. Now i know what you’re thinking. “Why not just get a 35” Ultra 4k”? Money. Simple as that. If you’re just gaming, spending over 1k on just the display is more then most gamers are willing to budget. And if you just so happen to actually go that route, then a beefier graphics card is a must.  Taking your investment well above 3500 dollars before choosing a CPU.

Another factor to consider in the display department is MS response time. Some monitor will say 1ms while other will say 5ms. If you’re a Champion League pro gamer making some serious money playing games, the 1ms might actually give you that mental advantage. But for everyday regular gaming, 5ms is just fine. You actually cannot even tell the difference. So don’t spend extra for something that will not make a single difference in your gaming experience.

The next factor is the most important

GPU.                                                                                                                                           

1.     Ah yes, the ultimate culprit of how the price of a box gets expensive. But, whats really needed? Lets be honest, unless you just dropped 1300 dollars on a Gsync Ultra 4k monitor, you don’t need anything above a 1080 graphics card. Matter fact, 1080 base. Not ti. Chances are you probably went or own a 60mhz monitor. And more then likely, not even a 4k monitor. SO WHY BUY a $1,200 card? Again, the GPU decision is tied HEAVILY into the type of monitor you’re about to use. Make sure you choose a card that runs alongside the type of display you plan to buy or already own. Don’t think that a $1200 graphics card will enhance the image on a $250 display. Wont happen! Unless you own a Ultra 4k 144mhz monitor, a 2080ti is beyond overkill. A waste of money actually.

Benchmarks. Yes benchmarks. Anytime anyone is thinking about upgrading a part in their PC the first thing they do is go online and look at benchmarks. “Oh dam, this new card can run Crysis 3 in Ultra 4k at 120fps.” Gotta get that! Wrong again! Even if you own a Ultra 4k display and buy a 2080ti, chances are you will not see those benchmark results. At least not exactly. Benchmarks are the measurement of performance of any piece of pc hardware in a perfect world environment. PERFECT world folks. Clearly gamers don’t log on and play for 10 to 15 minutes. Any decent pc gaming session can last anywhere from 2 hours, to marathon 24 hours. And this builds heat. Yes heat! The enemy of performance. So how its performing in the first 10-15 minutes of gaming, may not necessary be the way it will perform 7 hours later. Matter fact, there is software that will measure the average fps you’re getting in a overall gaming session. And when compared, the results are almost identical in a 10 hour sessions between almost all cards tested. Obviously from a GTX 980 to a RTX 2080 ti there will be a nice benefit even after 10 hours of play, but, is spending $1,200 dollars worth the extra 20 or 30 FPS? Could you even tell the difference after 10 hours.....lol?

FPS

Ok, the paragraph above says it all, but lets elaborate a bit further. How much is really necessary? Is there really a difference visually between 144fps and 75? or even 60. Then answer is simple, NO!!!!! 

Check out this link https://youtu.be/VxNBiAV4UnM

That pretty much explains it all. We are so consume with the marketing tactics of Nvidia, AMD, and Intel that we forget the most important factor when it comes to gaming, the HUMAN FACTOR! What are our eyes realistically able to process. And remember, you’re not looking at a game as a painting on a wall. Games go from dark to ligh, red to green, blue to white over and over during a gaming session. This obviously puts a strain on your vision. After a couple of hours, it all will look the same. So after spending 1200 bucks on a monitor, 1300 on the latest 2080ti and who knows what more in order to game in 4k, your eyes might not even be able to appreciate the difference. Sure, mentally you own the absolute best box in the market. But, if you cannot see the actual difference, how can you realistically appreciate it. Im not saying you’re blind. But take this into consideration:

Conservative Box: I7 8700k, GTX 1080, Samsung 2560x1440p 5ms display with QLED. $1980-$2250

Enthusiastic Box: I9 9900k, RTX 2080ti, Asus ROG Ultra 4k display with Gsync

$$5200-$6000

The actual difference will be the resolution during gaming. If you’ve seen the link i provided, you will see that the extra money spent to game on the Enthusiastic box was a waste. Its just mental. The fact you dropped 6k on a box, instead of 2k automatically makes the game look, feel, and run better. But its all bullshit. Even when you look at Benchmark videos you will see that the difference is almost never noticeable. So why does Nvidia keep making cards and claiming that they are better? They are a corporation. Investor don’t want to hear about the Human Factor. They want to hear about the Mental Factor. That marketing stragedy that creates the necessity for something even when you DONT need it.

Last but not least....

CPU

So how important is the CPU when deciding what gaming rig to build or buy, well very! in fact, the latest Nvidia card series will only work at full potential with certain CPU’s. So, if you are currently running anything lower then a 6700k or AMD’s equivalent, don’t even think about a 20 series card. You will bottleneck the performance and ultimately have wasted your money. So whats good? Well, its all up to your expectations and application. 

If you are streaming and running multiple apps in the background, then a 8700k would be best choice. It has enough cores and threads to stream and run multiple apps in the background without affecting your gaming performance. However, if all you wanna do is power up and play, no streaming, no recording, no youtube running in the background, then a 6700k will be ok. More then enough. And its CHEAP! Very cheap. Yes, the 8700k isn’t really that much expensive, but the difference can be better spent on the display or memory type.

Fact is, the CPU, tho not as crucial as the GPU, can and will effect how your PC behaves during gaming. Remember, unlike a console, your pc is doing a lot more whether you are playing or not. Its managing the information being requested, its calculating and transferring massive amounts of data. Its the brains. But, buying a I9 9900k to run a GTX 980 on a 1920 x1080 display, is a WASTE. 

CONCLUSION

AMD, INTEL, AND NVIDIA are corporations. They have investors. They have overhead. They have obligations to shareholders. They will do ANYTHING to earn your trust, and ultimately, your money. So, don’t be swayed by “MAD MEN” tactics. Marketing is all about phycology. If you tell enough people that Pepsi is better the Coca Cola, then Pepsi will eventually taste better. Yes, there is a very small difference in taste when it comes to the two. BUT, ultimately they are both colas made from caramel with carbonated water added. Corporations need to continuously keep the interest of the public high. Ask yourself at this moment, is your current system running your favorite game at a smooth rate, even when gaming for over 5 hours straight? If so, then you do not need to upgrade. It would be a waste. And off course, you would need to actually spend the money, buy the parts, build the box, and then and only then see for yourself. OR, you can save the money, continue enjoying your current system, and watch the green pile up in the bank. If this is your first Gaming PC, and you’re coming from console, then for you its even less significant to spend all that money. You will be fine either way you go. “Shiny badges on the side of boxes” will not make the game run better, if its already running fine.

Don’t get me wrong folks. Im not here to persuade anyone from buying what they have already decided to purchase. Or may have even pre-order. Im just trying to give you valid points regarding of whats actually needed and whats not needed in the world of PC gaming. Do you need to run BO4 at 144FPS in Ultra High Settings? Maybe not. Could you realistically tell the difference if it was running on high at 60fps, off course not. a I7 8700k with a standard GTX 1080 will run you about 70% cheaper then going for a i9 9900k with a 2080ti. And anything in between will only give you a slight, very light and slight improvement over the budget base system. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie099 said:

if you are gonna write a piece like this and expect positive feedback, at least do it well. It comes off as a lecture, where the sole purpose is to for you to rant and feed your ego.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

giphy.gif

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

TBH, I tried reading the letter posted, but had a hard time with all the YELLING.  Was it necessary to use ALL CAPS for the entire rant?  Okay, not all caps, but the end result was the same considering the font size and that everything is in bold text.

Source for the copy-pasta?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

54 minutes ago, Eddie099 said:

Size is also a factor to consider. You can get an Ultra 4k 27” monitor for the price of a 32” 2560x1440 monitor. But believe me, size matters. You will enjoy your gaming experience a whole lot better on the 32” then on the 27. Its more immersive and provides a better field of view on almost any game. 

4K 27" has more pixel density than 1440p Ultrawide 32". Definitely something to consider; size doesn't always matter.

Ok, the paragraph above says it all, but lets elaborate a bit further. How much is really necessary? Is there really a difference visually between 144fps and 75? or even 60. Then answer is simple, NO!!!!! 

Check out this link

latest?cb=20180428004718

looks like someone's never used a 144hz monitor

Overall, this is pretty opinionated. Upgrading parts will (almost) always give you a better and more satisfactory experience. It's the same thing from going from SDR to HDR, 1080p to 4K, 60hz to 144hz, medium to ultra settings, etc. It's simply hard to go back once you make that jump, which I'm sure is the motive of most PC builders.

It's just the way the consumer market works for nearly everything in the tech department.

Pretty sure majority of the userbase here knows what they are doing when it comes to putting an electronic Lego together.

OK sorry for the original post. The text did not appear that big when i was posting it. My post was NOT meant to rant or to “Feed” any ego. Simply to answer, in my best knowledge, what most folks come here to ask. Off course the “experience” user base does not need any of the information i posted, but we do have alot of folks that are wondering what to get when either upgrading or building their first box. As the post states, getting the most for your money is the key priority when building a system. Going hard on the GPU and soft on the display and CPU equals pretty much the same abysmal results you might be getting atm. Sorry if i offended anyone or made this post to be something elitist. Not my intention.

ohboi 

7 hours ago, Eddie099 said:

Size is also a factor to consider. You can get an Ultra 4k 27” monitor for the price of a 32” 2560x1440 monitor. But believe me, size matters. You will enjoy your gaming experience a whole lot better on the 32” then on the 27. Its more immersive and provides a better field of view on almost any game.

ok ok i love my big screens but you dont get a bigger FOV just because your screen is bigger. if you sit the same distance from it it will take up more of your FOV but if you are playing a competative game this ends up with a lot of the screen OUTSIDE your ~20% of your FOV where you actiually see shit which isnt what you want. 

your advice here is decent if you only play casual games, singleplayer games and scenic games but for anything fast paced this is poor advice.

also fps and refreshrate matters, it brings down input delay and latency which again is really important when you play a fast competative game

7 hours ago, Eddie099 said:

Chances are you probably went or own a 60mhz monitor

bruh tell me where i can get one of those, 60000Hz refreshrate would be godly xD nothing could run a game at 60 000 fps tho :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016