Is it really necessary to clone files with new hardware?

Opencircuit74

Hello,

I've seen a lot of people here recommend copying all of your files and stuff on to a new install when undergoing a major upgrade. I was wondering, is this really necessary? I used to have an Intel system, and did a complete overhaul of my computer to an AMD ryzen one, and have been using the same install of windows with no problems. I also have a hard drive with windows 10 installed that I use for testing systems, and that hardware changes from Intel to AMD across different generations all the time.

What could actually happen by doing all of that stuff? Thanks.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

It can cause issues but alot of the times it's fine. It is good to do it anyways just because.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

coz people are just lazy to install and config the system?there will also be many dump files and strange configs being transferred 

- I always do clean installs

@Opencircuit74: No, it's not necessary and you're doing it right. It's a common myth that windows must be constant reinstalling and installing again every hardware changes. It's not something magic, your system will work good as new and you don't need repeating THE SAME installation. Only people who don't understand how system works and how drivers works may say that "something may go wrong" and "you will have problems" (mostly unspecified). If you want to be more "clean", you can always use tools like Ghostbuster and remove old, no more needed drivers. People afraid that "something may go wrong" if you using the same system, because other people say the same, and it's vicious circle that creates this stupid myth.

Every week I see few posts about problems when people try to made "clean install" with no reason, even on the same hardware. Why? Who knows, probably because it's what some people do with their computers - installing the same system again and again. Do you heard about any Mac or Linux user doing the same? No, because they're smarter probably and just using their systems instead of installing and reinstalling. It's only Windows myth that starts with old version of Windows that really have problems over time. But it's no longer Windows 98 era.