Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

mSATA drive?

Schnoz

Hi hoomans,

I'm out of storage on my laptop 128 GB SSD but I have a 16 GB mSATA drive from an old CR-48 Chromebook. My laptop, a Dell Latitude E6540, has three mSATA slots and the WiFi card only occupies one. The one large enough is labeled WWAN, but will it recognize it as an SSD if I put it in there or will it throw a shetstorm and refuse to do anything?

I have 2 GB of space left, and a single Wiiiii game is 3 GB, so you can tell how desperate I am.

I have no idea what I'm doing and no one can stop me.

I don't see the harm in popping it in and finding out

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Why not.  It shouldn't break (Don't quote me on that) if it's the same type of port. Dell laptops are really weird, I've seen sata to msata adapters connected to a SSD when the machine had free msata ports, and NVME ports being wasted on cheap laptops.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: PNY RTX 2060 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Just now, Opencircuit74 said:

Why not.  It shouldn't break (Don't quote me on that) if it's the same type of port. Dell laptops are really weird, I've seen sata to msata adapters connected to a SSD when the machine had free msata ports, and NVME ports being wasted on cheap laptops.

yay!!!! Thanks guys! I'll pop off the cover in a few minutes.

2 minutes ago, LOOK OVER HERE said:

yay!!!! Thanks guys! I'll pop off the cover in a few minutes.

Make sure you take the battery out and stuff first, don't want to be killing your laptop.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: PNY RTX 2060 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

17 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Make sure you take the battery out and stuff first, don't want to be killing your laptop.

Doesn't work. The laptop works fine but it doesn't recognize the drive.

1 minute ago, LOOK OVER HERE said:

Doesn't work. The laptop works fine but it doesn't recognize the drive.

Maybe check the BIOS to see if there is a setting concerning it? It might be looking for a wifi card and does not detect the SSD.

hmmm ok. I'll try that once I finish my math homework. Any other tips?

Update: It shows up when it's booting and before it loads good ol' Wendow's 7, but the OS doesn't see it.