Should I overclock my Ram? What would the effects be?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
9 minutes ago, Justasking said:

I tried in different ways, but it didn't work, tho I think I successfully set it to run on CL 12

"Goodram" isn't exactly a big name brand, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to run above its rated speed of 2133. Good job getting the timing down though, that impacts latency quite a bit.

So I was wondering if overclocking my ram makes any sense. I have 8 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 Goodram memory(2 DIMMs, each 4 GB), maybe CL 13 or so. How would it effect performance of my PC if I overclock it somehow? Would overclocking it make sense?

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

On intel, wouldn't matter too much. 

On AMD, faster frequencies do help. 

I have an intel i5-6402P :(

Overclocking ram always helps, just how much varies. Of course, don't bother overclocking if you are satisfied with your performance, unless you'd like to know how to do it for the sake of it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Justasking said:

intel i5-6402P

I have literally never heard of this CPU. Nevertheless, overclocking ram probably isn't what's holding you back if you aren't seeing top tier performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Overclocking ram always helps, just how much varies. Of course, don't bother overclocking if you are satisfied with your performance, unless you'd like to know how to do it for the sake of it.

I would like to learn how to do it. Could you help? At christmas I will upgrade, and I will overclock for sure then

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I have literally never heard of this CPU. Nevertheless, overclocking ram probably isn't what's holding you back if you aren't seeing top tier performance.

Its not about performance that bothers me, I just wanna learn and try new stuff ?

here is a tutorial for overclocking ddr4 on skylake.

5 minutes ago, Justasking said:

Its not about performance that bothers me, I just wanna learn and try new stuff ?

Oh then yeah, it's not a bad skill to have. 

I'll leave the rest to jay.

Primary PC:

Be warned that overclocking ram is more risky than overclocking the CPU. If the CPU crashes, it is unlikely to cause much data corruption. If ram is unstable, you can corrupt your stored data. Keep that in mind if you decide to go ahead.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Oh then yeah, it's not a bad skill to have. 

I'll leave the rest to jay.

I tried in different ways, but it didn't work, tho I think I successfully set it to run on CL 12

9 minutes ago, Justasking said:

"Goodram" isn't exactly a big name brand, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to run above its rated speed of 2133. Good job getting the timing down though, that impacts latency quite a bit.

Primary PC: