Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Image quality issues (colour banding and brightness) with Asus ROG Swift PG278QR (TN 144 Hz G-Sync)

Mr.Jinx

I recently bought an Asus ROG Swift PG278QR (TN 144 Hz G-Sync) and I'm very disappointed by the image quality. I'm comparing it to my old Samsung Syncmaster S24A450BW and sadly the old monitor comes on top.

The Asus has horrible colour banding when viewing dark images, videos and sometimes even in games! I tried to reduce it using monitor adjustments and NVidia Control Panel colour settings. Basically I had the same image on both monitors and tried to get the Asus image to match the one on the Samsung. If I reduce the colour banding I'm left with a washed-out and dim image where the highlights are way too dark. If I pump those up to get a decent picture the colour banding is back and the blacks and dark areas are way too bright. There's no middle ground.

Are today's monitors worse than old ones..? Do I have to get an IPS panel in order to have decent image quality? The old monitor is also TN so I don't understand why the Asus performs so badly.

TN panels can go only that accurate, you can't expect IPS level of image reproduction even if you're able to afford the high price of some "high end" TN monitors.
Your monitor is builted and marketed as Gaming monitor for fast style E-sports games with low response times and high refresh rates, which is the actual attribute of TN panels in general ;d

But I understand your frustration, maybe you had used to looking at your old monitor colors and now your new one looks washed up because the blacks are not the same. If you go to IPS it will be the same transition.

Motherboard: MSI BM250-PRO-VD           <-- Build 1    Build 2 -->        Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4                     
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700                                                   CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080                                          GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX660 (Saving money for RTX 2080)
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz                                        RAM: HyperX Predator 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620w Bronze+                                      PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 650W
CPU Cooler: Gammax 400                                                    CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
SSD: Kingston A400 250GB                                                  HDD/SSD: 3 * 1TB WD blue Kingston A400 250GB 
Headphones: HYPERX CLOUD ALPHA                                                                                               Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB
Monitor: LG 24GM77                                                                                                               Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600
CaseFans: 3 140mm                                                                                                                Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8+
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500
Phone: Nokia 7 plus

hehe yeaaah boy
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2018_09/111.PNG.5713b4f39cae3a5badac216b30d99e65.PNG

You want to code but don't know how ? (Personal list)

30 minutes ago, voiha said:

TN panels can go only that accurate, you can't expect IPS level of image reproduction even if you're able to afford the high price of some "high end" TN monitors.
Your monitor is builted and marketed as Gaming monitor for fast style E-sports games with low response times and high refresh rates, which is the actual attribute of TN panels in general ;d

But I understand your frustration, maybe you had used to looking at your old monitor colors and now your new one looks washed up because the blacks are not the same. If you go to IPS it will be the same transition.

That makes sense, I understand that manufacturers have to make compromises, but my old monitor has the same type of panel and none of the issues. Does increasing the refresh rate and response time lead to such a degradation in picture quality?

29 minutes ago, Mr.Jinx said:

That makes sense, I understand that manufacturers have to make compromises, but my old monitor has the same type of panel and none of the issues. Does increasing the refresh rate and response time lead to such a degradation in picture quality?

Sometimes, that's why I stay away from these "165/240hz" monitors as most of the time for getting all of those hz's you need to switch off some of the settings and sometimes this means washed up colors.
My monitor for example if I want to use it's "Blur reduce setting" I need to set it to 120hz but then it really f*cks my contrast, and I can't use the DAS option which is the black stabilizer hence bad color reproduction.

Motherboard: MSI BM250-PRO-VD           <-- Build 1    Build 2 -->        Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4                     
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700                                                   CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080                                          GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX660 (Saving money for RTX 2080)
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz                                        RAM: HyperX Predator 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620w Bronze+                                      PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 650W
CPU Cooler: Gammax 400                                                    CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
SSD: Kingston A400 250GB                                                  HDD/SSD: 3 * 1TB WD blue Kingston A400 250GB 
Headphones: HYPERX CLOUD ALPHA                                                                                               Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB
Monitor: LG 24GM77                                                                                                               Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600
CaseFans: 3 140mm                                                                                                                Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8+

hehe yeaaah boy
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2018_09/111.PNG.5713b4f39cae3a5badac216b30d99e65.PNG

13 minutes ago, voiha said:

Sometimes, that's why I stay away from these "165/240hz" monitors as most of the time for getting all of those hz's you need to switch off some of the settings and sometimes this means washed up colors.
My monitor for example if I want to use it's "Blur reduce setting" I need to set it to 120hz but then it really f*cks my contrast, and I can't use the DAS option which is the black stabilizer hence bad color reproduction.

i think they use some kind of Chroma sub sampling to reduce the amount of data to achive those high frame rates.

so instead of 4:4:4 they use 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0 ( more means more accurate :P )

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

22 hours ago, voiha said:

Sooooo.... changing the refresh rate to 60 should yield the best colour reproduction? ?

Wish it was that easy. I'm gonna see if I can tinker with the settings until I get a decent enough result. If not, it's going back and the next monitor I buy will be in a store where I can test it beforehand.

1 minute ago, Mr.Jinx said:

Sooooo.... changing the refresh rate to 60 should yield the best colour reproduction? ?

No..

It means that in order to achieve what the monitor has to offer most of the monitors needs to be toggled in the right settings, which in most cases means lower Hz. Not that if you change it to 60hz it will give you the best color reproduction, that's the panel work itself, if that was true then put it in 1hz, best color 10/10

hehe yeaaah boy