Help diagnosing car steering shaking

TubsAlwaysWins

Go to solution Solved by Canada EH,
2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

It's never happened before though

maybe mud inside the rim

could be brake pads, brake calipers, brake rotors/drums

wheel alignment

front or rear, even if its coming from the front, could be a problem in the rear

TL:DR So today I was heading back from shopping and once I got my car going ~55 - 60mph my steering wheel started to shake. (not enough to send the car off the road or anything but enough that it arose some concern) Anyone know what could be causing it or what I could look for?

----- I do some stupid shit so I wouldn't be surprised if this was my fault, but I had a good time ----

Actual story: I went to town today to go shopping for some food and some stuff to clean up my calipers and rotors. Before going to town I had removed the drivers side wheel to assess what I would need to buy. Went to town, and went a little slower than I usually do (Usually go between 60-70 mph on our light back roads) but I just went slower because I was feeling like cruising and listening to music, so Im not sure I was ever going fast enough to notice it on the way, but im sure I did at some point. Got to town, ended up running into an empty / muddy parking lot where I had some fun trying to do donuts and slide my car a bit. Ended up getting everything else  I needed and then on the way back I noticed the steering shaking. Pulled over and re-tightened all the lug nuts on the car, just in case. No luck in that. When I got back home I jacked up my car and used a pneumatic impact drill to take the wheels off and make sure the weights were still on and everything and make sure they were on perfectly. Took it back out and the shaking stopped at the 55-60 range but started again (with less vigor) around 65.

Issues that have to do with the front steering / suspension / drivetrain:

Need new tires - front pair is basically at the end of life for safety

Need an alignment - long story, slightly messed up the front left camber because I marked the bolt wrong. Havent had any issues with it though, also just generally needs an alignment

Need new drivers side CV axle -  Front Diff side boot is torn

(According to dealership) need a new front right strut

(According to dealership) need a new power steering rack (currently leaking)

Sorry this is all over the place. Im just kinda typing as I think lol.

Thank you guys. Also hope everyone is having a great night

Vehicle is an 05 WRX Wagon.

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse

but because i had a similar issue in my car recently, is there any squeaking/grinding coming from the front wheel(s) when you turn a corner do you feel the steering wheel pulling in that direction even after you've straightened out?

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Also possible the wheels themselves need to be rebalanced. A missing wheel weight could also cause vibrations.  

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.51 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC | 24GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Green 1.5TB | ASUS Xonar DG | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5  | ASUS ProArt PA238QR

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 15.4.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 15.4.1) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

but because i had a similar issue in my car recently, is there any squeaking/grinding coming from the front wheel(s) when you turn a corner do you feel the steering wheel pulling in that direction even after you've straightened out?

Not that I noticed. There were a couple times I thought the car might have been pulling left but that was because of the uneven pavement on my roads. 

Did some searches earlier about it and just got some generic what it could be, but a minute ago I found a post suggesting that the snow (or in my case mud) gets caught in the rims and can imbalance the wheels. I'll clean it out tomorrow and see what changes 

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Also possible the wheels themselves need to be rebalanced. A missing wheel weight could also cause vibrations.  

Wheel weights were all there, just saw something that the mud could be imbalanceing the wheels so I'll check tomorrow 

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

Also if anyone cares this was the aftermath. 10/10 would get dirty again

Sorry it's a bad photo 

34514989-F8D7-43C7-9200-5692C175073C.jpeg

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

TL:DR So today I was heading back from shopping and once I got my car going ~55 - 60mph my steering wheel started to shake. (not enough to send the car off the road or anything but enough that it arose some concern) Anyone know what could be causing it or what I could look for?

----- I do some stupid shit so I wouldn't be surprised if this was my fault, but I had a good time ----

Actual story: I went to town today to go shopping for some food and some stuff to clean up my calipers and rotors. Before going to town I had removed the drivers side wheel to assess what I would need to buy. Went to town, and went a little slower than I usually do (Usually go between 60-70 mph on our light back roads) but I just went slower because I was feeling like cruising and listening to music, so Im not sure I was ever going fast enough to notice it on the way, but im sure I did at some point. Got to town, ended up running into an empty / muddy parking lot where I had some fun trying to do donuts and slide my car a bit. Ended up getting everything else  I needed and then on the way back I noticed the steering shaking. Pulled over and re-tightened all the lug nuts on the car, just in case. No luck in that. When I got back home I jacked up my car and used a pneumatic impact drill to take the wheels off and make sure the weights were still on and everything and make sure they were on perfectly. Took it back out and the shaking stopped at the 55-60 range but started again (with less vigor) around 65.

Issues that have to do with the front steering / suspension / drivetrain:

Need new tires - front pair is basically at the end of life for safety

Need an alignment - long story, slightly messed up the front left camber because I marked the bolt wrong. Havent had any issues with it though, also just generally needs an alignment

Need new drivers side CV axle -  Front Diff side boot is torn

(According to dealership) need a new front right strut

(According to dealership) need a new power steering rack (currently leaking)

Sorry this is all over the place. Im just kinda typing as I think lol.

Thank you guys. Also hope everyone is having a great night

Vehicle is an 05 WRX Wagon.

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

~55 - 60mph

Is it only at that speed?

If so then wheel balancing.

Also sometimes certain cars have a slight shake at certain speeds and 60mph seems about right.

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Is it only at that speed?

If so then wheel balancing.

Also sometimes certain cars have a slight shake at certain speeds and 60mph seems about right.

Alright I'll take a better look at the balancing

It's never happened before though so I don't think it's vehicle specific 

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

Thanks I'll go check those out 

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

It's never happened before though

maybe mud inside the rim

wheel alignment

front or rear, even if its coming from the front, could be a problem in the rear

Personally, I'll soon be replacing a front wheel bearing to resolve a similar issue. Whenever I hit around 60+ I get some noticeable shake in the wheel. Ford dealer did a free "25 point inspection" when I brought my Explorer in for a state inspection and said that's what the problem was, so it was an easy diagnosis for me

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

22 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I bought my car and used the bad wheel balancing to physically feel how fast I was going for like a year. Finally took it in and had to get new tires because they were literally on wires and bulges.

I take very poor care of my car.

Does the vibrating get worse when braking? It could be warped rotors as well.

#Muricaparrotgang

Sounds like a definite wheel alignment/balance.

Had it on my 80 series landcruiser, after a wheel alignment she was all good to go again. I had shaking at around 70 km/h.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:54 AM, Canada EH said:

maybe mud inside the rim

wheel alignment

Yeah it was mud. Thanks!

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler