Power levels on cat6 cable with no POE

Olennex
Go to solution Solved by Swilky,

Do you mean power in watts or voltage as they are two different things...

if you mean voltage it is 2.5v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_physical_layer

Power in watts would be voltage * amps, I do not think there is much current flow as sensing circuitry would be high impedance so the power in watts would be extremely low, tens of milliamps or less.

Hello LTT Forums

I've been curious about how much power is transmitted in normal networking communications. When I have searched for this it always brings up the case of power over ethernet. However I am not concerned with that, just how much power a NIC sends over the cable for communication. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks for your time

-Olennex

Do you mean power in watts or voltage as they are two different things...

if you mean voltage it is 2.5v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_physical_layer

Power in watts would be voltage * amps, I do not think there is much current flow as sensing circuitry would be high impedance so the power in watts would be extremely low, tens of milliamps or less.

The power-dissipation of the cable itself is in the order of milliwatts or microwatts, but there's really no way of giving a more precise answer, because it depends on the cable-quality, length, what size the conductors are, whether they're real copper or copper/aluminum etc.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.