Need help choosing new monitor for programming/gaming

SuGol

Hi, members of the LTT forum,

So I found the following models for less then 205 euros and need some feedback:

From ASUS - Asus VG255H (200 euros + free CoD BO4 Key from a ASUS promo)

From Acer - Acer Nitro VG240Y (for 150 euros) and VG270 IPS 27'' (200€)

From AOC the model G2460VG6 (135 euros)

and from LG (every model is currently in promotion): LG 24MP59G-P IPS 23.8" (130 euros), LG 27MP59G-P IPS 27" and LG 24GM79G-B TN 24" both for 200 euros

Im currently using an old ASUS MS238H and need a new main display (i will keep this ASUS as a secondary screen, then replace him w/ a new monitor next year).

I will spend most of the time programming but i will do some gaming on it (my main game is Guild Wars 2, some CSGO with my friends, Insurgency Sandstorm, ARMA III, Project Cars 2 etc.)

Since I plan to add another screen next year, so VESA mount support can be a plus and from the list I get the VG255H, VG240, VG270, the AOC G2460VG6 and the LG 24GM79G-B.

My current GPU is a GTX 1060 6GB (MSI GAMING X - bought in March 2018) and i also need to connect to this new monitor a laptop with VGA and HDMI outputs - the HDMI output sometimes don't want to cooperate with me.

Which monitor should I choose?

Thanks.

@SuGol It really depends on what you want from your monitor,

do you want a better picture? go IPS

do you care about competitive gaming and want a higher refresh rate? get a TN panel

what size do you want? 24 or 27" ?

what resolution? most people recommend 1080p up until 27" then 1440p + after. (though personally I would say that 1080p at 27" isnt that bad)

before you choose a monitor you should answer these questions first.

If I was going to choose for you, Id say that you should just get a nice 24" IPS panel. So maybe the LG 24MP59G-P. it seems ok 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

10 hours ago, RFK said:

Just looking at some of the reviews and images, I'd probably rule out the Acer Nitro because it's AMD Free-sync exclusive, and you have a Nvidia GPU. My personal preference would be the LG 24GM79G-B TN 24 for it's clean design, 1ms refresh rate, and 144hZ. Also be wary of updating your GTX 1060's drivers, because of the controversy surrounding Nvidia slowing the performance in the new updates. 

I rarely update GPU drivers because I dont play any new titles. I also got some problems installing the 397.31 drivers - using the 398.36WHQL (June 2018)

The LG 24GM79G-B is down from the ~300€ to 200€ and for 200 i think is a good deal.

10 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

@SuGol It really depends on what you want from your monitor,

do you want a better picture? go IPS

do you care about competitive gaming and want a higher refresh rate? get a TN panel

what size do you want? 24 or 27" ?

what resolution? most people recommend 1080p up until 27" then 1440p + after. (though personally I would say that 1080p at 27" isnt that bad)

before you choose a monitor you should answer these questions first.

If I was going to choose for you, Id say that you should just get a nice 24" IPS panel. So maybe the LG 24MP59G-P. it seems ok 

I cant find any monitor for less then 200 with 1440p and I'll not change from 1080p to another resolution for some time.

About the size it doesn't matter (never used a monitor bigger then 24'' and i dont know how 1080p 27'' looks)

For the better picture/competitive gaming high refresh rate questions - I never used an IPS panel before. I will rarely do video/image editing (GIMP, Adobe Premier, etc) so color accuracy is not that important, but i dont mind to try. I spend most of the weekends programming and browsing the web (~ 8-10 hours) then some games for 1-2 hours.

• 5 months later...

Well I cannot talk about the other monitors but my vg255h is working perfectly, i am enjoying bo4 a lot, and in my opinion i love the design, cable management and movement allowed by the monitor. About the screen itself, it is preety good! the only thing you might want to be aware of (it caught me off guard) is that it has no Display Ports! so if you were planning on using g-sync, you can forget it! otherwise I am very happy with it

On 10/17/2018 at 11:17 PM, SuGol said:

Hi, members of the LTT forum,

So I found the following models for less then 205 euros and need some feedback:

From ASUS - Asus VG255H (200 euros + free CoD BO4 Key from a ASUS promo)

From Acer - Acer Nitro VG240Y (for 150 euros) and VG270 IPS 27'' (200€)

From AOC the model G2460VG6 (135 euros)

and from LG (every model is currently in promotion): LG 24MP59G-P IPS 23.8" (130 euros), LG 27MP59G-P IPS 27" and LG 24GM79G-B TN 24" both for 200 euros

Im currently using an old ASUS MS238H and need a new main display (i will keep this ASUS as a secondary screen, then replace him w/ a new monitor next year).

I will spend most of the time programming but i will do some gaming on it (my main game is Guild Wars 2, some CSGO with my friends, Insurgency Sandstorm, ARMA III, Project Cars 2 etc.)

Since I plan to add another screen next year, so VESA mount support can be a plus and from the list I get the VG255H, VG240, VG270, the AOC G2460VG6 and the LG 24GM79G-B.

My current GPU is a GTX 1060 6GB (MSI GAMING X - bought in March 2018) and i also need to connect to this new monitor a laptop with VGA and HDMI outputs - the HDMI output sometimes don't want to cooperate with me.

Which monitor should I choose?

Thanks.

just try to look for a sale! I got mine for 160€, and to be honest i wouldn't pay upwards of 180€ for a 1080p 75hz panel. 

Hope this helped!