Case upgrade for Dell XPS 8700?

Twiggy1995

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 8700 I am upgrading and have already done almost all of the planned upgrades, and will do the last one in a little over a week.

I have now thought that I may get myself a third party more gaming oriented case for it as well.

Thing is, the case needs to have two 5.25 drive bays, and a card reader on the top, there's also USB and 3.5mm audio ports on the top of the case, and the power button is also on the front panel.

I don't know if it's be possible to put it into a new case or not, though I have seen some people do it on youtube, I don't know how they did it. From reading other threads online it seems like the front panel power button and it's wiring can be an issue.

So besides finding a case that will match my needs, I will also need to find one which will allow me to connect the power button so that I can power on the system properly.

If anyone has any tips, or suggestions of cases, or any comments, you are welcome to post them.

10 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

If anyone has any tips

Can it be done?

Yes.

Should you do it?

Depends on how good you are at modding things. While the case *looks* standard, there are subtle differences (not least of which in the power button wiring realm) that will cause you to tear your hair out.

In other words, you might do better modding the existing case (paint, window, etc) than trying to transfer all the guts to a new case)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Can it be done?

Yes.

Should you do it?

Depends on how good you are at modding things. While the case *looks* standard, there are subtle differences (not least of which in the power button wiring realm) that will cause you to tear your hair out.

In other words, you might do better modding the existing case (paint, window, etc) than trying to transfer all the guts to a new case)

It seems it would not be worth it for me then, I have no modding experience, and i'd most likely end up making things worse and having to pay someone to fix it.

The only reason I wanted a new case really was for better airflow if I ever decide to overclock the i7-4790k I will be getting next week, but by the time that processor can no longer handle games in 1080p, it'd be time for a mobo and processor (and ram) upgrade anyways, so I'll keep the case. I will probably build a new computer at that time.

There's nothing for cable management in it, so it looks like a mess of cables, but, it doesn't really matter as it's completely opaque so you can't see the insides at all.

I like black and it's like 99% black except for some silver accents at the front and some labeling and logos, so that's good.