Winamp 6 to return in 2019, it will still whip the llama's ass

46 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Show of hands: who actually still keeps audio files on physical media in 2018? Seems to me that regardless of your choice of poison, all platforms, big to small, offer some form of audio streaming instead.

Also I keep some audio files locally: I thought I bring myself as an example of a rare exception to the rule since some audio and video files are exceedingly hard to find so there is literally no option to stream or buy digitally anywhere it's just physical media so of course I keep my back ups digitally and use those instead.

74 Gb of music just on my phone. Granted some is in FLAC, but definitely not all of it is lossless.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

I always used iTunes as my mp3 player for years, even tho i hated it more and more. Few years ago i switched to Spotify, but i still don't really like their UI. You can't customize it that much how i want. Also, playing local mp3s on Spotify is a pain in the ass

Well this is some news I never thought of reading. I'll definitely check it out again.

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Show of hands: who actually still keeps audio files on physical media in 2018? Seems to me that regardless of your choice of poison, all platforms, big to small, offer some form of audio streaming instead.

Also I keep some audio files locally: I thought I bring myself as an example of a rare exception to the rule since some audio and video files are exceedingly hard to find so there is literally no option to stream or buy digitally anywhere it's just physical media so of course I keep my back ups digitally and use those instead.

Yep and any media in general really, for that matter. I hate being bound to an internet connection to be able to watch a movie or listen to some music. Don't get me wrong, I love the ease of Spotify and  yes I am aware you can download songs, but I just like my stuff to be accessible when I want it, how I want it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

but i am very curious what they do with the UI. the old one is way to cluttered for todays standards.

How is it too cluttered? Seriously, I'm so tired of losing features and functionality just so shit can look "clean". Every inch of my Winamp layout offers a function that I use. Spotify is way too bare bones for me. I realize I'm in the minority here though, most don't care.

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Over 20GB worth of stuff that I listen to often.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

How is it too cluttered? Seriously, I'm so tired of losing features and functionality just so shit can look "clean". Every inch of my Winamp layout offers a function that I use. Spotify is way too bare bones for me. I realize I'm in the minority here though, most don't care.

Over 20GB worth of stuff that I listen to often.

im not talking about loosing functionality but UI design and UX wise the old layout is crap by todays standard. designing UI has evolved a lot from back in the day and the amount of functionality should have nothing to do with it.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

13 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

im not talking about loosing functionality but UI design and UX wise the old layout is crap by todays standard. designing UI has evolved a lot from back in the day and the amount of functionality should have nothing to do with it.

Failing to see how you could clean this UI up without making it inferior or taking the "hamburger button" shortcut.

Spoiler

big.jpg.f064837303fb227ffc9f385be9b5b476.jpg

And keep in mind, if you don't like this giant player, you can shrink it as much as you want.

Spoiler

tiny.jpg.f67d4373270d25cd70e8ec77fdd51489.jpg

And if minimalism is really your thing, then...

Spoiler

Screenshot_4.jpg.1fc7de87cf1a918047e41134340462de.jpg

I enjoy having the choice of how I want the layout to look like, Winamp gives me that control. If you don't care about that choice, then you do you, but don't call it "crap" because you don't care.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Stopped using Winamp after i discovered Foobar2k over 10 years ago. Pretty interesting to see how they going to "modernize" it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

17 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Show of hands: who actually still keeps audio files on physical media in 2018?

That'll be me.  I do have some digitally purchased music too, but the vast majority is on CD. 

I switched to Xion back when Winamp was still a thing. 

I'd probably give the new Winamp a go ... once I'm confident that it hasn't turned into yet another data-mining tool.

On 10/18/2018 at 1:57 AM, S w a t s o n said:

Wait people still collect and play music offline (not including spotify premium)?

what_year_is_it.jpg

Yes, because when power goes off or internet falls down, I can still listen to my music. Good luck on your end though... I like to actually own things I pay for.

WinAMP's creator, Justin Frankel, went on to form Cockos which puts out the Digital Audio Workstation software Reaper that I use. It also whips the llama's ass.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

On 10/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Winamp never stopped being the player I use. I can't stand most other players due to them lacking features and having an interface that doesn't work the way I want to manage my music.

What, people still use winamp??? Holy shit.

Haha it did whip the llama's ass back in the day. LOL

I dug out my 30gb iPod Video, gave it bigger flash storage, dusted off my Winamp music library, with the intention of using it just like back in the day...

But streaming wins most of the time. I use my phone for photography loads, I can't warrant the huge space needed for a high quality music library. As well as the manual organisation and adding of new music, transferring to and from when I want to refresh my portable library...

Sure they may not be the biggest hurdles, but with a half decent streaming service, the convenience pounds that into the dirt.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

On 10/18/2018 at 9:26 AM, RejZoR said:

-snip-

Places in Western Europe join you... At least on my desktop, can sign up just fine on my phone... Just need to use a UK VPN to get the authentication email to work...................................

image.png.55f52d14ba71241ec09ba7bc5441dbf1.png

Also, Winamp was awesome, especially with a few plugins installed and a decent skin.

Still use Winamp 5, mostly because it still does everything I want it to. Still buy cd's as well, and to occasional vinyl, have music on my phone etc, not for any real quality reason but because that's just how I've always listened to music.  Then again I was a sound engineer for 15 years of my life, so my opinion is a little warped from industry 

Plus I live in the middle of fucking nowhere in Australia where pretty much no one streams music because well that relies on the internet actually working. Plus I like dynamic range 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Before I forget, it's generally not advisable to whip a llama's ass.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I've moved onto Google Music, just finished uploading my entire collection and stream it through my phone. The only thing that held me back from going full on streaming was not having an unlimited data plan and I used my Sony Walkman at the gym when I was in the military.

Glad to see Winamp is making a comeback, I loved it back in the day.

Been a long time since I've had a mobile device that didn't have enough room to store my entire music library in mp3 format, while keeping lossless versions on the NAS.  Do not understand why streaming music is even something people entertain doing to be honest.  XML radio makes more sense, and I wouldn't pay a subscription for that either.

Do not have the patients to deal with poor coverage areas or getting nickle and dimed 3 ways from Sunday for the deluge of services I'd have to get just to stream music when I can just put what I want on the device.

Would be over the moon if winamp is available on android, but only if it isn't whoring me out (as @Captain Chaos also pointed out); which is probably what they're going to do, and might be the sole reason why they're dragging winamp out of mothballs.

18 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yes, because when power goes off or internet falls down, I can still listen to my music. Good luck on your end though... I like to actually own things I pay for.

if you pay for spotify you can listen offline, but thanks for playing

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

A leaked version of Winamp 5.8 recently spread over the Internet. Consequently, we have decided to make this new version available to you, revised by us.

We therefore recommend that you download this version rather than any other as we guarantee it is safe for you to use.

https://www.winamp.com/

On 10/17/2018 at 4:57 PM, S w a t s o n said:

Wait people still collect and play music offline (not including spotify premium)?

I don't do streaming music. Most of what I listen to isn't available on streaming services anyway. When I want to listen to something, I know exactly what I want to listen to, and I just double click it in my neatly organized music folders to have it added to Winamp's queue.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Some stream and some listen offline. I, while use streaming services sometimes, still have everything saved on my drives.

And while Winamp was my my first player, I've been using for about 5 years now AIMP. Might switch back. It was after all a very solid player. If not the best.