Mic sound quality being distorted by front headphone jack

DistinctiveApple

Hi guys, I recently bought a pair of ATH-M40X's after looking at a couple of reviews for headphones, I previously had logitech g430s. I have a CAD U37 USB microphone, which is plugged into my mobo back panel io, and I use voicemeeter banana as my audio software. When I took the m40xs and plugged them into the front headphone jack of my computer it picked them up and everything was fine, but when I joined discord and started talking, people told me that my voice sounded robotic and messed up. I left and opened voicemeeter to confirm this, and they definitely weren't lying. Even with voicemeeter disabled, any time I have my headphones plugged into the front headphone jack it really messes up my microphone input, and it sounds like it's being scrambled. I unplugged and replugged both multiple times, but it seems to be a persistent issue and I don't know what could be causing it. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm thoroughly confused by what's going on.

What kind of computer is it? I know that some computer's front panel audio dies after a while, that could be the issue.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

18 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

What kind of computer is it? I know that some computer's front panel audio dies after a while, that could be the issue.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $347.99
CPU Cooler EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $92.44
Motherboard ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $160.00
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $155.00
Storage Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $87.00
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card Purchased For $720.00
Case DIYPC - Vanguard RGB ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $55.00
Power Supply Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $95.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $3.00
Monitor Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Purchased For $490.00
Keyboard Logitech - G810 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $70.00
Other Intel Optane Memory 32GB Purchased For $60.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2335.43
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-16 22:15 EDT-0400  

I just built this in July btw so I don't think the front audio panel is dying so soon.

1 minute ago, DistinctiveApple said:

I just built this in July btw so I don't think the front audio panel is dying so soon.

Just wondering, old optiplexes seem to do that a lot. Maybe try disabling audio enhancement in the sound settings.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

check the front jacks for possible bad connection....also check the wiring from the jacks to to mobo for badly pinched or bad wire sleeves

8 hours ago, circeseye said:

check the front jacks for possible bad connection....also check the wiring from the jacks to to mobo for badly pinched or bad wire sleeves

I checked, and although I do just have a mass of wires stuffed behind the back case cover, the sleeving looks fine for the jack connectors and they're plugged in well. What I'm more confused about is the fact that I'm not using the mic jack on the front, yet the headphone jack is somehow interfering with the USB pluged directly into the io.

Front jacks are notorious for having issues for all audio. It is not uncommon, there's usually no fix for it other than replacing the parts, though you're welcome to unplug/replug in case there's a faulty connection. It's probably just running too many wires near electrical interference that is bleeding into the line. Or just shoddy workmanship :)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!