Linus a shill?

DroidIt!

Let me start off by saying I think not. Full stop.

I just watched the most recent WAN show where Linus and Luke touched on the Intel/PT benchmarks. I've also watched the Gamers Nexus coverage and Steve's interview with a PT co-owner I believe it was. BOTH seemed to take a middle of the road approach from different angles. Linus looked at it by putting himself in an Intel exec's shoes and Steve asked the guy about specific hardware choices that may have compromised the results of any testing PT did. So each outlet used its expertise to hit at the issue from different angles. In no case did either PROMOTE Intel. Linus's conclusion was that it was Intel being Intel at each major product release it has. Who knows the real reason Intel went with PT. Linus said that either could be equally to blame. Steve laid the blame with Intel ultimately because it published the PT test results (gave its approval). I agree in both cases.

All that being said, I don't get why people are so damn upset in the comments at Linus and saying he's a shill. If you want to take the same attitude, is Steve then a PT shill because he blames Intel? Imo, BOTH companies are equally culpable, Intel for not vetting what got published under its name and PT for its shoddy testing procedures. Saying Linus is a shill though simply because he isn't as unreasonable as most others seem to be though is bordering on just...hysteria. A little more perspective: it's a fukken piece of silicon that runs electricity across it. If you buy it before it gets tested (again as Linus said), that's on you.

Linus a shill because he didn't try to drown the witch without any evidence (ie. because he kept a level head)...nope.

Maybe you're the Linus shill?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

10 minutes ago, DroidIt! said:

Linus a shill?

xD

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

I would say that Steve came to the conclusion that he did because literally every PR move made by corporations, especially the size of Intel, is gone over with a fine tooth comb. It's not like Intel just picked PT blindly out of a hat as the one tech journalist company that did NOT have to follow NDA (like all the other ones have to). It's also extremely unlikely that Intel wouldn't be involved at all in this "review" of their product that they released before the normal NDA lifted with Intel's blessing. What company wouldn't want only information that they deem to be beneficial released before the actual slew of impartial reviews came out?

Of course Linus is a shill; he's way too happy to accept money in return for saying whatever the company paying him tells him to say. I mean, just look at the video for the light-based power-transmission thingy, or the recent Cisco-video or any number of similar videos, where he shows a grand total of zero criticism and happily follows the script. It's all why I don't take nearly everything he says at face-value. That said, in this Intel-PT-spat, I don't see any shilling.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Do we really need another one of this stupid topics?

PS: That was rhetorical, because we definitely don't.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Idk, what I heard was Intel has scummy tactics since forever and some of the critiques about the pt testing are way overblown (hint, they are)

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Because people didn't listen to him properly and just because he didn't outright say that Intel is to blame for everything (he did make allusion to Intel being incompetent, but not many seems to have gotten that), they are raising pitchforks and calling Linus a shill, "unsubbing" and are "disappointed" in him.

I've posted enough on this subject in the WANshow document thread, including a "timeline" of everything Linus said/meant on that particular topic.

But overall, you just can't reason with these people, they think they are right so whatever you say is just "hot air" to them, even if you bring in facts to show how wrong they are.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

xD

at least he said they sponsored him. 
image.png.7554988785fd5ec4e93ab27922d92b7b.png
Unlike some other youtubers

I really think they just got caught up with others who got caught being scummy about it. And forget written publications. 

On 3/7/2018 at 4:11 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

Edit

I would like to add that I didn't watch Linus's video yet, and I'm sure not as bad as people have been bitching about as so far they've been a lot more transparent and less shilly then people give them credit for, but this was a terrible fucking day for tech youtubers in general. 

image.png.33cca48aec712df38c36e4ff2ae09920.png

That last one. 

Fucking shameful. 

Here's a couple more 

image.png.2d2a4f053831e7873336510961561f48.png

image.png.2b97c5cfd58093a56e99c8868188cf47.png

image.png

Non tech as well 

image.png.c490bad0de8972b45c0d352b7814477d.png

image.png.54ed608af9a5ca1c63f6e561e45b111f.png

Regardless of how transparent or less shilly the LTT video is (and I haven't seen it, it could be just as shilly) they are caught up in this mess now. 

Taking part in a same day youtube assault? What in fuck were you guys thinking? Did you know this was planned? 

On the whole, fucking shameful thing happened this week. 

Fucking 

Disgusting. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

8 hours ago, DroidIt! said:

Who knows the real reason

BINGO

No one knows but whom ever knows or whom ever is in the know.

Big Corps are secretive, no big deal.

We all know Linus is a shill for the reptilian illuminati-freemason-templar-big oil conspiracy to form a massive Dyson-Intel conglomerate that will install a New World Order and put listening devices in my oatmeal like they always do. Let us drop the facade LinusShillTips. I play Pot of Greed, which allows me to draw two cards into my hand! I now have all five parts of Exodia the Forbidden One and all seven Dragon Balls, with which I shall banish your Satanic channel to the Shadow Realm! BEGONE!

Image result for yugioh exodia scene

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

10 hours ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

We all know Linus is a shill for the reptilian illuminati-freemason-templar-big oil conspiracy to form a massive Dyson-Intel conglomerate that will install a New World Order and put listening devices in my oatmeal like they always do. Let us drop the facade LinusShillTips. I play Pot of Greed, which allows me to draw two cards into my hand! I now have all five parts of Exodia the Forbidden One and all seven Dragon Balls, with which I shall banish your Satanic channel to the Shadow Realm! BEGONE!

Image result for yugioh exodia scene

demonetized.png.106a65834197f828446ecfdd7f224ccf.png

On 10/16/2018 at 12:57 PM, WereCatf said:

Of course Linus is a shill; he's way too happy to accept money in return for saying whatever the company paying him tells him to say. I mean, just look at the video for the light-based power-transmission thingy, or the recent Cisco-video or any number of similar videos, where he shows a grand total of zero criticism and happily follows the script. It's all why I don't take nearly everything he says at face-value. That said, in this Intel-PT-spat, I don't see any shilling.

I've gone down this rabbit hole of an argument too many times at this point, so I'm not even going to try to turn your opinion around on "the script," as wrong as you are about that. My only comment is that it's pretty funny that you bring up the light-based power-transmission tech as that video was not sponsored by that company - aka no money changed hands with that brand in the creation of that video.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:30 PM, DroidIt! said:

Linus a shill because he didn't try to drown the witch without any evidence (ie. because he kept a level head)...nope.

"We don't think you should take pre-orders for products that haven't been evaluated by third parties" = shill

"There should have been oversight from Intel where they should have gone 'well hold on a second, that's not really right'" = shill

"Why are we treating anything other than post-launch benchmarks from third parties as anything other than marketing fluff?" = shill

"We should always take manufacturer claims with a grain of salt" = shill

Was there a better way to say some of what he said? Yeah probably, and I think he owns up to that very heavily in his replies to comments on WAN Show. But he essentially said "if you're pre-ordering parts based on manufacturer-commissioned benchmarks then you're beyond help" which is not necessarily polite or helpful to everyone included in that group, but it's certainly not shilling, it's certainly not inaccurate...

On 10/16/2018 at 2:26 PM, TetraSky said:

But overall, you just can't reason with these people, they think they are right so whatever you say is just "hot air" to them, even if you bring in facts to show how wrong they are.

People hear what they want to hear & ignore reality no matter how much it might conflict with their opinion, unfortunately. Sad state of the world.

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

People hear what they want to hear & ignore reality no matter how much it might conflict with their opinion, unfortunately. Sad state of the world.

It's fun when you have a "conversation" on the internet arguing against something someone said and they try to claim you're a shill for the company you're supposedly defending.

Which is strange, I didn't see any money from said company. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 10/16/2018 at 3:57 PM, WereCatf said:

Did you even watch the Cisco video? Really watch it? Or did you see sponsored by and auto default to "shill". There was near ZERO information on the actual products, it was an informational piece about new realms of networking at best and a small showcase at worst. If he went into detail on the actual products, the technologies, and everything that goes into DNA center alone, we would have a 10 part video 30 minutes+ each at a minimum. There are criticisms which can be made about the tech, sure, but to say a few minutes of high level information means he should "rip them a new one", is bullshit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

the was thing is that LMG NEEDS Linus to be a shill for it to work the way it does. YouTube Adsense and Floatplane are a very small portion of their income. Most of their money comes from sponsors, which not only give them loads of money, but also free stuff, from bags of beef jerky to $10,000 USD CPUs. If they want to keep the money coming in to pay for everything they do, they will do their best efforts to keep these sponsors happy (specially the big wads of cash like Intel and Nvidia). 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

On 10/16/2018 at 12:57 PM, WereCatf said:

Of course Linus is a shill

Watch out boys, we got a woke one. He's pierced the veil of tech YouTubers

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

the was thing is that LMG NEEDS Linus to be a shill for it to work the way it does. YouTube Adsense and Floatplane are a very small portion of their income. Most of their money comes from sponsors, which not only give them loads of money, but also free stuff, from bags of beef jerky to $10,000 USD CPUs. If they want to keep the money coming in to pay for everything they do, they will do their best efforts to keep these sponsors happy (specially the big wads of cash like Intel and Nvidia). 

I guess you might have a different idea of what the word "shill" means than we do.

Linus does not need to give opinions that he does not personally hold in order for LMG to stay afloat - that runs exactly counter to our business model, and counter to what keeps us relevant in the tech media space.

There's a big difference between having sponsors that request certain talking points, and just being a puppet for a brand, which (in my mind at least) is what a "shill" actually is.

14 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I guess you might have a different idea of what the word "shill" means than we do.

Linus does not need to give opinions that he does not personally hold in order for LMG to stay afloat - that runs exactly counter to our business model, and counter to what keeps us relevant in the tech media space.

There's a big difference between having sponsors that request certain talking points, and just being a puppet for a brand, which (in my mind at least) is what a "shill" actually is.

Nah. You said a thing I didn't like.

Shilly McShillpants.

Just now, King Poet said:

Nah. You said a thing I didn't like.

Shilly McShillpants.

@nicklmg is a shill for LinusMediaGroup because he gets paid by them to do work.....that's what a shill is right?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

@nicklmg is a shill for LinusMediaGroup because he gets paid by them to do work.....that's what a shill is right?

Yes. Anything he says is compromised.

I mean his actual last name is LMG.

I like how this thread devolved from OP critiquing arguments against Linus's format to taking the piss out of tech channel conspiracy theorists. Beautiful, truly beautiful

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

On 10/16/2018 at 10:56 PM, HingaDingaDurgen said:

Dyson

Dyson uses generic Chinese motors, its all in the marketing.

But what I was really going to communicate to you all is that Hitler used to do his poses in front of a mirror.

I wonder if Linus sits in front of the mirror and does countless faces to see which ones will sell out gang busters.

I retract, he sits in front of a video camera, practicing with a monitor facing him, then he will use the ones the will sell out. Sell out.