Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MSI and Gigabyte boards

Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Small disclaimer: I don't pay a ton of attention to Intel boards, so I'll mostly talk about AMD boards.

MSI has been kinda meh in their motherboards, usually you can get a bit better board for the price, in terms of VRM cooling and just overall design. They also had (issue is smaller now) problems accepting higher speed memory.

Gigabyte has been altogether fine on the AMD side of things, although they did have a rather big problem with killing Ryzen chips: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/830039-recent-gigabyte-x370-bios-killing-cpus/

Other than that they are not doing terribly.

For AMD boards, I would personally rank the 4 major brands like this (this is very much a generalization, all companies could make trash, awesome products and anything inbetween): Asus seems to be best, Gigabyte and AsRock are about on par, depending on what you value the most in your board and MSI is usually quite lackluster compared to the rest.

Of course people online take objective measures and give it their subjective spin, meaning they see something is not as good as the rest, see an issue, etc. and blow it out of proportion.

What is with all the hate surrounding these companies? I've seen they're had quality or RMA issues in the past, but does anyone have anything more recent that would suggest a continuing issue?

Small disclaimer: I don't pay a ton of attention to Intel boards, so I'll mostly talk about AMD boards.

MSI has been kinda meh in their motherboards, usually you can get a bit better board for the price, in terms of VRM cooling and just overall design. They also had (issue is smaller now) problems accepting higher speed memory.

Gigabyte has been altogether fine on the AMD side of things, although they did have a rather big problem with killing Ryzen chips: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/830039-recent-gigabyte-x370-bios-killing-cpus/

For AMD boards, I would personally rank the 4 major brands like this (this is very much a generalization, all companies could make trash, awesome products and anything inbetween): Asus seems to be best, Gigabyte and AsRock are about on par, depending on what you value the most in your board and MSI is usually quite lackluster compared to the rest.

Of course people online take objective measures and give it their subjective spin, meaning they see something is not as good as the rest, see an issue, etc. and blow it out of proportion.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Well thats good, I was thinking of going with a Gig board on my 2700x build. 

Thanks!

Nobody likes to get burned and poor PC hardware can sometimes take a while to properly diagnose.  By the time you figure out which component is bad and actually needs to be replaced, you may have already spent many hours in aggravation over the problem.  This emotional investment often results in extreme hatred and distrust of that brand.

As a result, tech people tend to harbor grudges for years.  MSI burned me once 16 years ago; as a result I will never buy their gear again as long as there are reasonable alternatives.  Conversely, I've owned many Gigabyte products and I've never had any fail.  However, those results are basically just random chance.  There are many people who have had the opposite experience.

So, take extreme brand bias with a grain of salt.  If there's data, great; if not, then anecdotal experience is just that: anecdotal.

3 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Nobody likes to get burned and poor PC hardware can sometimes take a while to properly diagnose.  By the time you figure out which component is bad and actually needs to be replaced, you may have already spent many hours in aggravation over the problem.  This emotional investment often results in extreme hatred and distrust of that brand.

As a result, tech people tend to harbor grudges for years.  MSI burned me once 16 years ago; as a result I will never buy their gear again as long as there are reasonable alternatives.  Conversely, I've owned many Gigabyte products and I've never had any fail.  However, those results are basically just random chance.  There are many people who have had the opposite experience.

So, take extreme brand bias with a grain of salt.  If there's data, great; if not, then anecdotal experience is just that: anecdotal.

Part of the reason if Im trying to find the best RGB sync to tie everything together. I'd prefer not to have to use multiple peices of software or DYI software from people on the net to do it all. So I'm trying to build a pc where everything just works.

Aura Sync is good, just some stuff is a bit more expensive. also Gigabyte made these: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6nKcCJ/gigabyte-aorus-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-gp-ar32c16s8k2su416r

2 extra DDR sticks JUST for RGB. Wish more brands did this.