Weird problem with websites. Anyone familiar with the issue?

keavlar

Hey everyone! 

So the issue is this: 

For some time, I was unable to open some websites! 

Example:

gmail.com

facebook.com

v1tech.com

In screenshots you can see the error it would provide me.

I mainly work with Chrome, but I did try to open in FireFox, (but did not try to open in Explorer).

The Pc that had this error, is connected with a cable to the main router. 

I have 2 more PC (one of them is a laptop). They connected wirelessly. (I checked the same website on them)

So at the first time, the second PC when I tried to open the same website, it wouldn't open it. 

A day later it would, but not on the main.

Laptop opened all of them without any issues. 

A few days later all wireless PC loaded the websites normally, but mine still would not. 

And today it finally works. 

I just wanted to ask, if you know what could cause this behavior.

I was thinking there was an issue with the router Settings, Firewall. But it does not explain, how I was able to open it from the laptop.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

It appears your pc time is set correctly, so thats not it. Try clearing your browsing data (no need to clear history or forms, just other stuff), then try disabling TLS and see if either help. 
If you are using any antivirus it could be it to. I've seen kaspersky cause this. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So, google websites doesn't work for you. There may be many reasons - bad internal lan network addressing, bad DNS cache, bad network card settings. But if other computer has problems with these websites too, it may be because you have set some bad DNS in your router - or none (and your ISP DNS have problems). Try to enter router configuration and find DNS servers - type 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. Also change that in network connection in your PC.

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It appears your pc time is set correctly, so thats not it. Try clearing your browsing data (no need to clear history or forms, just other stuff), then try disabling TLS and see if either help. 
If you are using any antivirus it could be it to. I've seen kaspersky cause this. 

I did clear cache, history, everything.

The Kaspersky running on all PC, even in the laptop which opened the websites, so I doubt it was it. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

1 minute ago, keavlar said:

The Kaspersky running on all PC, even in the laptop which opened the websites, so I doubt it was it. 

Windows using DNS cache, so laptop probably remember good IP for these websites and your computer - not.

Try to use:

ipconfig /flushdns

in cmd.

Is not a bad idea to disable DNS client at all in services and rely on external DNS. It's fast enough.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

So, google websites doesn't work for you. There may be many reasons - bad internal lan network addressing, bad DNS cache, bad network card settings. But if other computer has problems with these websites too, it may be because you have set some bad DNS in your router - or none (and your ISP DNS have problems). Try to enter router configuration and find DNS servers - type 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. Also change that in network connection in your PC.

As I mentioned, my laptop did open them fine. 

But the second wireless PC did not. 

Today I don't have this issues at all. So this is weird. 

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Windows using DNS cache, so laptop probably remember good IP for these websites and your computer - not.

Try to use:

ipconfig /flushdns

in cmd.

Is not a bad idea to disable DNS client at all in services and rely on external DNS. It's fast enough.

I did try the ipconfig command. 

Not sure I understand what you mean regarding the DNS. 

Could you please elaborate! 

2 minutes ago, keavlar said:

As I mentioned, my laptop did open them fine. 

But the second wireless PC did not. 

Today I don't have this issues at all. So this is weird. 

Please read my both posts - you can find explanation why it happens. Problems with DNS-es. And your laptop just remember old, good ones.

1 minute ago, keavlar said:

I did try the ipconfig command. 

Not sure I understand what you mean regarding the DNS. 

Could you please elaborate! 

DNS - Domain Name System

When you type address like www.google.com, DNS servers resolves it to IP4 - for example 216.58.209.78 (type this in URL field in browser and you'll see - it's google).

But your computer must know that www.google.com is 216.58.209.78 somehow. It asks DNS servers (your ISP DNS servers for example, or Google DNS servers) for IP.

Windows cache some IP so it's not needed to asks DNS servers all the time and that's why your laptop may resolve address correctly and your computers - not.

You may use selected DNS servers - like google ones, trusted ones - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You can type this in your router configuration or in your lan card configuration. This way you'll be used better, more trusted DNS servers that are always (almost) good instead of some ISP DNS servers that are close to you, but may have problems more time.

So my recommendation is to use google DNS (or any other trusted DNS like your AV software DNS like Comodo ones) by forcing them. And disable windows DNS cache - this way you'll have no prolem with changes (for example - someone changes their IP address web server and you still trying to connect to old one because you have cached old IP in Windows).

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Please read my both posts - you can find explanation why it happens. Problems with DNS-es. And your laptop just remember old, good ones.

I did read, I do understand sort of ~.

About google not working for me. Ir did, the google search I mean.

About the DNS on the laptop, I can flow with the explanation that it saved the old good DNS, but every time the PCs would change different results. 

Thx anyway, I understand that you think that the main issue was the DNS. 

6 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Thx anyway, I understand that you think that the main issue was the DNS. 

Probably your ISP (Internet Service Provider) DNS servers have some problems for a while.

In my previous post I elaborate it as you request.

6 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

DNS - Domain Name System

When you type address like www.google.com, DNS servers resolves it to IP4 - for example 216.58.209.78 (type this in URL field in browser and you'll see - it's google).

But your computer must know that www.google.com is 216.58.209.78 somehow. It asks DNS servers (your ISP DNS servers for example, or Google DNS servers) for IP.

Windows cache some IP so it's not needed to asks DNS servers all the time and that's why your laptop may resolve address correctly and your computers - not.

You may use selected DNS servers - like google ones, trusted ones - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You can type this in your router configuration or in your lan card configuration. This way you'll be used better, more trusted DNS servers that are always (almost) good instead of some ISP DNS servers that are close to you, but may have problems more time.

So my recommendation is to use google DNS (or any other trusted DNS like your AV software DNS like Comodo ones) by forcing them. And disable windows DNS cache - this way you'll have no prolem with changes (for example - someone changes their IP address web server and you still trying to connect to old one because you have cached old IP in Windows).

But after cleaning cache/ Restarting PC, and restarting the router (settings as well).

Should it not fix the issue?! 

3 minutes ago, keavlar said:

But after cleaning cache/ Restarting PC, and restarting the router (settings as well).

Should it not fix the issue?! 

No, because you still use your ISP DNS server which may be bad at that time.

That's why I recommend to use Google DNS. It's really easy - you can do it using router configuration OR computer configuration. Or both.

Small tutorial (or big in fact):

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

If you don't know how to open old, classic control panel, it's easy - Win+R and type "control".

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

No, because you still use your ISP DNS server which may be bad at that time.

That's why I recommend to use Google DNS. It's really easy - you can do it using router configuration OR computer configuration. Or both.

For what setting (name) should I look in the router?

3 minutes ago, keavlar said:

For what setting (name) should I look in the router?

DNS servers (primary DNS, secondary DNS) - mostly these fields are empty, but may contains address of DNS servers. Change them (and if they're not empty - save somewhere old ones, just in case).

How to change DNS in Windows (I recommend both - router and Windows) I wrote in my previous post.

Sorry for editing my posts. :)

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

DNS servers (primary DNS, secondary DNS) - mostly these fields are empty, but may contains address of DNS servers. Change them (and if they're not empty - save somewhere old ones, just in case).

How to change DNS in Windows (I recommend both - router and Windows) I wrote in my previous post.

Sorry for editing my posts. :)

NO problems. Thx mate! 

1 hour ago, keavlar said:

It's not clear to me if homeap5 solved this for you. If you're still having a problem, try doing this in kaspersky -go to Configuration > Advanced > Network > "Don't check encrypted connections" 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It's not clear to me if homeap5 solved this for you. If you're still having a problem, try doing this in kaspersky -go to Configuration > Advanced > Network > "Don't check encrypted connections" 

He said "today I don't have this issues at all" few posts ago. Rest was only clarification and theory. Since Kaspersky is not program that work different depends on day ;), it's not that kind of problem.

But your advice is nice too - maybe because I don't really like AV at all and every uncheck additional unnecessary protection is good imo. I never understand why AV software scans emails protocols (for example) if they protect whole filesystem anyway and even if you receive attachment with virus, active protection don't allow it to run. Before or after attachment will be downloaded - who cares. The same about website protection - if it's dangerous and will try to infect operating system somehow, AV active shield should detect it the same way like with web protection - goal is not to be infected. Unless AV are crap and must detect virus at every stage, because the same virus will be detected or not, depend on AV mood.

16 hours ago, homeap5 said:

He said "today I don't have this issues at all" few posts ago. Rest was only clarification and theory. Since Kaspersky is not program that work different depends on day ;), it's not that kind of problem.

But your advice is nice too - maybe because I don't really like AV at all and every uncheck additional unnecessary protection is good imo. I never understand why AV software scans emails protocols (for example) if they protect whole filesystem anyway and even if you receive attachment with virus, active protection don't allow it to run. Before or after attachment will be downloaded - who cares. The same about website protection - if it's dangerous and will try to infect operating system somehow, AV active shield should detect it the same way like with web protection - goal is not to be infected. Unless AV are crap and must detect virus at every stage, because the same virus will be detected or not, depend on AV mood.

Hey .. you were right about Kaspersky! 

The error happened again, decided to turn off Kaspersky, it worked. 

I just don't get it.. why ... for all these years never something like this happened, and the BOOM

22 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It is Kaspersky in the end :( 

On 10/16/2018 at 7:16 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

Listen, what exactly will it do?

I already did, and thx it solved the issue. But at the same time, I worried, as I might disable something that protected me for a while. 

I mean, I go to legit websites, but then I have a notification from Kaspersky, that a malicious link was disabled. 

2 hours ago, keavlar said:

Listen, what exactly will it do?

I already did, and thx it solved the issue. But at the same time, I worried, as I might disable something that protected me for a while. 

I mean, I go to legit websites, but then I have a notification from Kaspersky, that a malicious link was disabled. 

You have choice - use your computer as you want or use it as some AV allows you or not. I recommend to not worry about that. You still have active protection, so virus will be detected (or at least should bw). Don't be paranoid - computer should work as you like. If AV block your google or other sites, then AV is worse than virus.

It may be something different though - try to check your system with AdwCleaner (it's fast and free, and do not requires install). Maybe some adware/virus/whatever cause that. And your Kaspersky just don't detect that. For example - some nasty adware displays ads on google pages by modifying html code on the fly. Then your Kaspersky detect that links are dangerous and blocks google.