psu scratching cx550m

LukeSavenije
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Yeah.  That PSU is going to make that noise with that graphics card, I'm afraid.

It's not hurting anything.  It's just annoying.

hello everyone,

I have my pc for a while now, and since a while my psu started to make some scratching noise when gaming.

I have no idea what it is and if it can be dangerous for my system. what should I do with it?

Thanks in advance

Coil whine possibly? There's not much you can really do about it and it's usually harmless. You could put some hot glue on the coils, but that's about it.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Coil whine possibly? There's not much you can really do about it and it's usually harmless. You could put some hot glue on the coils, but that's about it.

yeah, I'm not going to do that. not that good of an electician. but should I return it or not? I do have warrenty

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, I'm not going to do that. not that good of an electician. but should I return it or not? I do have warrenty

Coil whine isn't technically a defect. It's a resonance that's simply inherent to the design of the power supply. One unit might exhibit less, another way more. No guarantees at all.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 10/16/2018 at 6:01 AM, LukeSavenije said:

hello everyone,

I have my pc for a while now, and since a while my psu started to make some scratching noise when gaming.

I have no idea what it is and if it can be dangerous for my system. what should I do with it?

Thanks in advance

"Scratching noise"?

Like this?

Which GPU?  The 1070 in your sig?

You say you had the PC for a while and it just started making noise.  How long until it started making noise?

Are you 100% sure it's coming from the PSU?

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Like this?

It sounded more like the coil whining than that.

Which GPU?

1070 ti sc edition from evga

You say you had the PC for a while and it just started making noise.  How long until it started making noise?

i have it for about 3 months now, about  2 days ago

Are you 100% sure it's coming from the PSU?

99% sure

edit: it's also not a differing sound. under the same load it will keep making the same sound

Yeah.  That PSU is going to make that noise with that graphics card, I'm afraid.

It's not hurting anything.  It's just annoying.