Ryzen 1950X or 2950X for a workstation build?

So I'm building a new workstation, and I'm wondering if the Ryzen 2950X is gonna be worth the slightly higher price tag compared to the 1950X?

Am I better off saving my money and going for the 1950X? Or will the 2950X be better in the long run?

My build will be doing a lot of 3D rendering and work in After Effects.

Any insight and help is appreciated!

Thanks!

the 2950X is literally twice the performance (or at least can be if OCed) (or even slightly higher), so if the price is favourable in comparison, I'd do it, if you need the power.

nvm I was thinking of the 2990WX >_> sorry

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

the 2950X is literally twice the performance (or at least can be if OCed) (or even slightly higher), so if the price is favourable in comparison, I'd do it, if you need the power.

You are talking about the 2990WX ;)

I've seen the 1950X as low as 500€, so roughly half of the 2950X, which is why I'd neglect the 10% performance increase. If they are within those 10% though, get the newer one. 

Look used aswell! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

You are talking about the 2990WX ;)

Yeah just realized that xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, slugroar said:

The 2950X is a little better, if you're going to have the PC for years just spend the extra, though a 24 core will be launching soon enough

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Think you're confusing it with the 32 core

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

If it's half the price just get the 1950X

Just make sure the cooler is a TR4 specific cooler, and maybe get the MEG creation board so you can overclock 32 cores down the line in the far future.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

From what I can find, there is about a $200 price difference between the 1950X and the 2950X. If there is only a ~10% difference between the two then I guess the 1950X is the better choice?

6 minutes ago, slugroar said:

From what I can find, there is about a $200 price difference between the 1950X and the 2950X. If there is only a ~10% difference between the two then I guess the 1950X is the better choice?

Then in that case probably just buy the 2950X, or like I said maybe wait for the 24 core if you can afford it, though overclocking on standard boards becomes questionable.

Also be sure to get a Silver Arrow TR4 if at all possible, Coolermaster Wraithripper as a close second for coolers.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Then in that case probably just buy the 2950X, or like I said maybe wait for the 24 core if you can afford it, though overclocking on standard boards becomes questionable.

Also be sure to get a Silver Arrow TR4 if at all possible, Coolermaster Wraithripper as a close second for coolers.

Alright thanks! I'll go for the 2950X then.

For cooling I'm looking at a Corsair H100i PRO. I don't think I can fit any of those massive heatsinks in my case unfortunately.

Just now, slugroar said:

Alright thanks! I'll go for the 2950X then.

For cooling I'm looking at a Corsair H100i PRO. I don't think I can fit any of those massive heatsinks in my case unfortunately.

The only coolers you should be buying for threadripper are TR4 coolers with a large baseplate.

Enermax Version 2 coolers are going to be solid, they fixed version 1s as well, but I wouldn't pick one up again, mine has been fine though.

though if you can't fit a 280mm or 360mm cooler get a new case

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214089&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Gamers nexus has a ton of threadripper content

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

The only coolers you should be buying for threadripper are TR4 coolers with a large baseplate.

Enermax Version 2 coolers are going to be solid, they fixed version 1s as well, but I wouldn't pick one up again, mine has been fine though.

though if you can't fit a 280mm or 360mm cooler get a new case

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214089&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Gamers nexus has a ton of threadripper content

Yeah I've been using Intel for so long, going for a Corsair AIO has become a standard deal for me. I'll look into some TR4 coolers as well. Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, slugroar said:

Yeah I've been using Intel for so long, going for a Corsair AIO has become a standard deal for me. I'll look into some TR4 coolers as well. Thank you very much!

Enermax is the only company that current makes threadripper all in ones, you'd have to go custom otherwise.

Here's what the air coolers look like anyways, all of the X399 boards are fine

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/28/threadripper_air_coolerssilver_arrow_tr4_vs_wraith_ripper/

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, slugroar said:

So I'm building a new workstation, and I'm wondering if the Ryzen 2950X is gonna be worth the slightly higher price tag compared to the 1950X?

Am I better off saving my money and going for the 1950X? Or will the 2950X be better in the long run?

2950X because 12nm, so some slight improvements and a bit higher clockrates.

But also the Problem that you need a Board with a compatible BIOS...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Won't a X399 board support either of them out of the box? The ones I've been looking at say they are all TR4 and Threadripper compatible.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

8 hours ago, slugroar said:

Won't a X399 board support either of them out of the box? The ones I've been looking at say they are all TR4 and Threadripper compatible.

Just get a board with USB Bios flashing so it can flash without a CPU, I would hope all of them have it, the ASrock Taichi does for sure.

Spoiler