Windows 10 on a new computer

Tore Alkeks

Hi i am sort of new to pc building, at least when it comes to building from "scratch" and not upgrading current pc. I am going to build a new pc with all new hardware but i have not bought a new windows 10 key. 

Do i need a new key or smt since i already have windows 10 on my old pc(it is upgraded from Windows 7 btw) and it is connected to my Microsoft account so i was wondering if i could somehow just log into my account when installing a new os with the mediacreationtool from windows website.

When it's tied to your microsoft account, you can install a new PC just fine. When it gives an activation error, just say you changed hardware and it should fix itself.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Tore Alkeks said:

i could somehow just log into my account when installing a new os with the mediacreationtool from windows website.

yes you can.  no need new key, just reuse the account log in - setting >activation....

once linked to new pc, you can even reinstall win 10 again so no login prompt needed (then I forgot my ms account lol)

If you want to keep your old computer with win10 installed, then it's against policy to use the same copy on second computer. It may work, of course, but it doesn't mean it's legal. And it doesn't mean that it will work forever - probably until next time Windows check license.