macos installer iso

I need to create a macos VM and need the installer iso and don't have access to a mac to download it if someone is able to get me one that would help a lot.

if you follow step one of this guide you should be able to get it

https://www.howtogeek.com/289594/how-to-install-macos-sierra-in-virtualbox-on-windows-10/

The only legitimate way to obtain the OS is using an existing Mac.  The images are not freely distributed online like they are with Windows.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

see if this works

[REDACTED]

it is a .app installer for macOS Mojave. For use with “Apple branded computers”

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

The only legitimate way to obtain the OS is using an existing Mac.  The images are not freely distributed online like they are with Windows.

that's why I'm asking for someone to get me one. all I want to do is create a VM.

Just now, Bobisaperson1 said:

that's why I'm asking for someone to get me one. all I want to do is create a VM.

I don't think you understand, that's not how it works.  If someone else "just gets you one" that's functionally no different than torrenting it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If someone else "just gets you one" that's functionally no different than torrenting it.

I'm not aware of that. I save installers from my Macs and give them to those who ask for it. Its coming from a real Mac, its not torrenting or stealing. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I'm not aware of that. I save installers from my Macs and give them to those who ask for it. Its coming from a real Mac, its not torrenting or stealing. 

It's not a matter of it coming from a real Mac, it's about making sure you're using your own Mac.  Each mac comes with a license for the OS, and the OS license can only be gotten that way.  Therefore, if you have a Mac, you could use it, or instead use that license on a hackintosh, but if you don't even have a mac, to make a hackintosh requires pirating a copy.

That depends on how you view MacOS, if you view it as free operating system, that Apple installs on your computers, then you are just sharing free data, if you view the MacOS as an OS that Apple sells as apart of their systems, then it can be considered stealing as he is not purchasing a Mac license to obtain his OS.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That depends on how you view MacOS, if you view it as free operating system, that Apple installs on your computers, then you are just sharing free data, if you view the MacOS as an OS that Apple sells as apart of their systems, then it can be considered stealing as he is not purchasing a Mac license to obtain his OS.

I'm pretty sure this isn't let up to the end user's subjective discretion.  It would clearly explain the terms in the license agreement.

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I view it as an OS that comes with Macs and has 0 measures in place to prevent people from downloading installers and doing whatever they would like with them. 

I view it as an OS that comes with Macs and has 0 measures in place to prevent people from downloading installers and doing whatever they would like with them. 

if they really didn't want people having the iso they wouldn't have a download button

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

It would clearly explain the terms in the license agreement.

Their EULA has only ever been used to take down people selling non-Mac hardware that runs macOS. If the legality of Hackintoshing was ever in question or had any real consequences for real users, it wouldn't be so wide spread all over the internet. 

Their EULA has only ever been used to take down people selling non-Mac hardware that runs macOS. If the legality of Hackintoshing was ever in question or had any real consequences for real users, it wouldn't be so wide spread all over the internet.

This isn't a question about the legality of hackintoshing.  If we had serious concerns about that we wouldn't have lifted the ban on its discussion.  One thing we can not, will not, and have not done however, is lift a ban on assisting with piracy, which acquiring a copy of the OS through non-legitimate means counts as.

5 minutes ago, Bobisaperson1 said:

if they really didn't want people having the iso they wouldn't have a download button

Pretty much. In US patent law you have to show that you are protecting your idea or using it to get your patent renewed. If Apple does not take measures to prevent distribution or installation of their OS, then they are indirectly allowing users to do so. Indifference enables users. 

If they want to change that in the future they can, but they have showed no signs of changing how they behave in this regard. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Pretty much. In US patent law you have to show that you are protecting your idea or using it to get your patent renewed. If Apple does not take measures to prevent distribution or installation of their OS, then they are indirectly allowing users to do so. 

If they want to change that in the future they can, but they have showed no signs of changing how they behave in this regard. 

This is absurd and irrelevant.  Consider the DRM-free games offered on GoG.  Do you actually think for a second that you could make the argument that spreading it around to anyone and everyone you feel like is acceptable because the program didn't try to stop you from doing so?

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't let up to the end user's subjective discretion.  It would clearly explain the terms in the license agreement.

I never stated that it was left to their discretion in the EULA, I was just stating the perspectives from which one might view this issue. Some people can call it stealing, others can call it sharing info, thing is Apple is remarkably silent on this issue, the only point that they are truly vocal about is that they don't want people selling hackintoshs, and in some cases the legality of Apples License agreements are questionable at best. Or to put it simply, I wanted to help maintain the civility of the discussion, while allowing for the other parties to understand the other's point of view.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Well hopefully the installer works. I've had a previous one say that it was damaged when trying to install it on another Mac. That might have been Mavericks or Mountain Lion though. Its possible the Mojave installer is also broken. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Does anyone have a link to the TOS? Whether or not people are allowed to download the ISO and distribute it depends on how the TOS is worded.

Just because you need a Mac to download the ISO does not necessarily mean you're not allowed to distribute it.

There is also a difference to be made between distributing something, and using something. The TOS might allow someone to distribute something, even though specific usage of that software isn't allowed. For example distributing a decompiler may be allowed, but using it to reverse engineer copyright protection may not be.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you actually think for a second that you could make the argument that spreading it around to anyone and everyone you feel like is acceptable because the program didn't try to stop you from doing so?

Well considering that the games on GoG have a price tag on them, no.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Does anyone have a link to the TOS? Whether or not people are allowed to download the ISO and distribute it depends on how the TOS is worded.

Just because you need a Mac to download the ISO does not necessarily mean you're not allowed to distribute it.

There is also a difference to be made between distributing something, and using something. The TOS might allow someone to distribute something, even though specific usage of that software isn't allowed. For example distributing a decompiler may be allowed, but using it to reverse engineer copyright protection may not be.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOS1014.pdf

It seems fairly clear to me that it's for one person to download for their own usage if they own the hardware, but I'd welcome your interpretation as well

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is absurd and irrelevant.  Consider the DRM-free games offered on GoG.  Do you actually think for a second that you could make the argument that spreading it around to anyone and everyone you feel like is acceptable because the program didn't try to stop you from doing so?

Protection can be achieved through various methods, sure DRM is on common way, but another is a C&D, or a lawsuit, I am pretty sure that if someone was distributing that data GoG would take some sort of action to protect their content likely in the form of a copyright strike, or a C&D, and if necessary a lawsuit.

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well considering that the games on GoG have a price tag on them, no.

So paid software deserves respect regardless but free software must actively defend itself with software controls?  Seems a bit odd... not sure that's right.

And is it even free?  You can't actually "buy" it on its own, can you?  It comes as part of a mac, and while they don't explicitly charge you more for it, you could consider that investment the cost.  If it was truly free they would give away downloads on their website, but they don't.  You have to get it through the App Store, and that in itself is a form of controlling the distribution.

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

if someone was distributing that data GoG would take some sort of action to protect their content likely in the form of a copyright strike, or a C&D, and if necessary a lawsuit.

Sure if they had incentive to do so. The only time a company is going to waste money on stoping people from dirsitbuting software is when the opportunity cost of not doing something starts becoming tangible. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It comes as part of a mac, and while they don't explicitly charge you more for it, you could consider that investment the cost.

Unfortunately without a set value on a macOS license, I would like to see Apple argue in a legal setting that when you buy Mac you are also buying a license to their software. 

The wording would have you be that you are granted access to the use of a license of macOS when buying a Mac. Without an empirical price, you cannot invest/buy/purchase anything. 

This is the first case so far that I'm aware of this question/topic coming up since our rule change.  Prior to the change being made public, the final internal decision was that we would allow people to talk about and help with making a hackintosh, but that the OS must be legit - we would not point people to where to download it if they did not have a Mac, etc.  This was based on reasoning at the time and not made randomly, but clearly there is quite a bit of disagreement.  Frankly I feel unable to move forward with any action at this time so I'm going to await a clear decision from higher up.  Whatever that is will be final and will set a precedent for all future cases.