Linus vs chinese ROM

appleache

In recent wan show linus is ranting about the "unusable" issue with MIUI, I notice he also have the issue with oppo's color os, mainly app background refresh stuff. So I think linus does not understand one of the fundamental characteristics of any chinese rom, the background app management. All chinese rom have very strict and effective power management to deal with Chinese app environment, especially the "Bucket Meals" problem. Basically, since google service doesn't exist in China, every app developer has to build their own push service or use a 3rd party one, and since every app try to use push notification to push ad to you, even just a calculator, so the battery drain issue is HUGE. And "Bucket Meals", if you have a baidu map open, it would wake up stuff like baidu news, baidu weather, baidu browser because of some shared api or just wanna get more ad to your phone. Company like facebook is doing the same, they even have their own update service, but they care more about collecting data than giving you ad.

6 minutes ago, appleache said:

In recent wan show linus is ranting about the "unusable" issue with MIUI, I notice he also have the issue with oppo's color os, mainly app background refresh stuff. So I think linus does not understand one of the fundamental characteristics of any chinese rom, the background app management. All chinese rom have very strict and effective power management to deal with Chinese app environment, especially the "Bucket Meals" problem. Basically, since google service doesn't exist in China, every app developer has to build their own push service or use a 3rd party one, and since every app try to use push notification to push ad to you, even just a calculator, so the battery drain issue is HUGE. And "Bucket Meals", if you have a baidu map open, it would wake up stuff like baidu news, baidu weather, baidu browser because of some shared api or just wanna get more ad to your phone. Company like facebook is doing the same, they even have their own update service, but they care more about collecting data than giving you ad.

Interesting! So what's the workaround?

8 minutes ago, appleache said:

So it's typical Chinese shenanigans eh

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

2 Chinese rom that has the most strict background management is OPPO and VIVO, and they basically block every newly installed app unless you whitelist them, so that is why you will have issue with google apps. I'll say they are doing the correct call to give all the option to user and let them decide even for google app (dam google+). Another example is samsung's battery drain issue, because their autostart manager is basically a joke.

also vivo will default block notification.

6 minutes ago, appleache said:

2 Chinese rom that has the most strict background management is OPPO and VIVO, and they basically block every newly installed app unless you whitelist them, so that is why you will have issue with google apps. I'll say they are doing the correct call to give all the option to user and let them decide even for google app (dam google+). Another example is samsung's battery drain issue, because their autostart manager is basically a joke.

also vivo will default block notification.

Oppo said it was a known bug and coudln't fix it for me though... so... if it was as simple as turning on notifications don't you think they'd have suggested that?

I mean, I'll try it but..

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Interesting! So what's the workaround?

I don't know much about color os but I does know about MIUI and VIVO's funtouch OS.

for MIUI you can just go to the app setting -> battery saver and turn off the restriction, also the "Restrict background app" in chinese is actually kill it after 10 mins, I don't know why they translate this way in English version.

Screenshot_2018-10-15-14-34-54-706_com.miui.securitycenter.png

Screenshot_2018-10-15-14-34-59-352_com.miui.powerkeeper.png

14 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Oppo said it was a known bug and coudln't fix it for me though... so... if it was as simple as turning on notifications don't you think they'd have suggested that?

for vivo their setting is scatter on several places, a bit of mess but it should all be in their i manager app, 1st is the auto start in the app manager, then is the backstage power which is in power manager. I think if you don't turn on backstage power it will kill it after 10 min or so. BTW this is on old funtouch, but should be the same

超级截屏_20181016_002702.png

超级截屏_20181016_002742.png

超级截屏_20181016_002806.png

超级截屏_20181016_044018.png

超级截屏_20181016_002728.png

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

there should be an app silimar to i manager, I think it is called security center, you can also check the battery option in setting, should be something there.

22 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

So it's typical Chinese shenanigans eh

I'll actually say it is one of the best function you can have in an android phone, because it solved one of the biggest issues with Android, the battery drain. I can install any crap app I want without fear of dead phone. For example I'm using McDonald and GasBuddy to get the deal but don't want it to run all day, it basically a safety net prevent developer fuk up. I remember the days when google just launch the google photo app, and it cause all my devices regardless of android version to go from full charge to dead overnight because of the mediaserver bug.

11 minutes ago, appleache said:

I'll actually say it is one of the best function you can have in an android phone, because it solved one of the biggest issues with Android, the battery drain. I can install any crap app I want without fear of dead phone. For example I'm using McDonald and GasBuddy to get the deal but don't want it to run all day, it basically a safety net prevent developer fuk up. I remember the days when google just launch the google photo app, and it cause all my devices regardless of android version to go from full charge to dead overnight because of the mediaserver bug.

I've been using Android for a while now (pretty much every major version since 2.1 Eclair), and I do agree it was a massive problem in the early days for many devices, even on many custom roms, for the devices I've used this sort of behavior largely stopped at Ice-cream Sandwich (4.0). I think this problem is largely a China thing on modern Android devices though.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

6 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

I've been using Android for a while now (pretty much every major version since 2.1 Eclair), and I do agree it was a massive problem in the early days for many devices, even on many custom roms, though for the devices I've used this sort of behavior largely stopped at Ice-cream Sandwich (4.0). I think this problem is largely a China thing on modern Android devices though.

yes, but it also helps a lot when something goes wrong, like linus's note 9. And something will go wrong with all kinds of app, especially business software package stuff, just depends on what you install. 

1 minute ago, appleache said:

yes, but it also helps a lot when something goes wrong, like linus's note 9. And something will go wrong with all kinds of app, especially business software package stuff, just depends on what you install. 

Yeah, having the option is much, much better than not having the option. Take my frankly sh*t Xperia XZ for example, the powersaving algorithm makes sure that it auto-kills the Messenger app after a few minutes of inactivity, so I always miss messages. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this, since it still persists even after fiddling with settings, so I basically gave up. Can't wait to throw this blue turd in the bin when it breaks tbh.