iPhone XS and XS Max proven to have undersized batteries

RyuHimora

Proven to have undersized battery? Wut. My Xs Max has a great battery life. Obviously everyone would benefit from a larger battery but they aren't shit nor are "undersized"

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

7 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Edited after correction

Two different types of issues. (Oh and did you know that entire drama was over a total of 35 units world wide?)

i wasn't talking about exploding batteries, they've had a lot more issues than that.

13 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

So Note 9 is still the best phone as long as you arent hit by the Samsung battery eating bug that Linus is hit by and Kirinodere on twitter among others.

every single person i know has had it, it's not just a "bug"

it's something called planed obsolescence

i could link you to wikipedia or a video explaining it

but i bookmarked a video about this very subject back in 2016 that does it in a song while also being very informative, here:

P L A N N E D  O B S O L E S C E N C E ! ! ! ! !

O H  G O D  I T ' S  I N  M Y  H E A D ! ! ! !   H E L P  M E ! ! ! ! !

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

6 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

every single person i know has had it, it's not just a "bug"

And every person i know has never had it...........

7 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

it's something called planed obsolescence

Nothing new, pretty much all companies practise it. Now wether the battery bug is related to that we dont know, but batteries degrade over time. 

12 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Something worth noting is that the Note supposedly defaults to 1080p, and at its native 2960x1440 it has similar battery life to the XS (at least assuming this source is accurate).

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/15/xs-max-battery-test-note-9-pixel-3/

I actually did try that on my Note8.

What I found? No real difference in battery life between 1080p and 1440p. Whatever savings that come stem from an ever so slightly lower processor usage.

There'll probably be a bigger difference when you push the SoC but for daily use, I haven't seen that much difference.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is honesty no practical difference that justifies the performance and power efficiency costs. 

Kinda depends. As I mentioned above, I did actually test the battery life between the 1080p and 1440p resolution settings on my Note8 and battery life by the end of the day was pretty much the same. Whatever savings came out were from an ever so slightly lower processor use when in 1080p but even then, the difference was so small, it was basically within the margin of error.

If it had a native 1080p panel, then maybe we'd see a difference. As it stands now, at least from my experience, if you have a phone with a QHD display, dropping to FHD won't really yield that much of an improvement in battery, unless you're gaming or taxing the device.

You'd probably save more power by going with a legitimate black theme across most of your apps than going to FHD on these phones tbh. It's one of the reasons why I've been longing for Apple and others to bring forth an actual black theme to their phones.

And yeah, I've seen the 2 tests. I don't think the jump to QHD was enough for a significant disparity between the 2 devices as all of the pixels on the Note are still being utilized, just with a slightly lower processor overhead.

I could very well be wrong though, but any difference in power consumption likely stems from the processor and underlying platforms, and not really that much to do with the panel itself as both Apple and Samsung are using highly-binned panels from Samsung Display, which should be plenty efficient.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1