CONFLICT ? GTX 1060 + Ryzen Threadripper 1920X

jameslarkin

CONFLICT ? GTX 1060 + Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, im a newb just wondering are these two a good fit for

video editing

photo editing

a little gaming

The 2700X seems like a better fit unless you're doing something that requires the CPU lanes. Only saying this because X399 mobo are very expensive in comparison to B450/X470.

9 minutes ago, jameslarkin said:

video editing

photo editing

a little gaming

Which software?

What kind of resolution and framerate are you targeting for video editing?

Which games?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

21 hours ago, King Poet said:

The 2700X seems like a better fit unless you're doing something that requires the CPU lanes. Only saying this because X399 mobo are very expensive in comparison to B450/X470.

if I stick with the 1920 the x399 mother board i'm getting can in the future upgrade to the much better amd processors out at the moment (like the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core)

most of my work will benefit from more cores, im not really interested in gaming, might play a few,

21 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Which software?

What kind of resolution and framerate are you targeting for video editing?

Which games?

video editing, premiere pro, photoshop, lightroom

res = 4k video sometimes, most of the time 1080p video

which games, doom, battlefield 4, not really into gaming  

18 minutes ago, jameslarkin said:

if I stick with the 1920 the x399 mother board i'm getting can in the future upgrade to the much better amd processors out at the moment (like the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core)

most of my work will benefit from more cores, im not really interested in gaming, might play a few,

video editing, premiere pro, photoshop, lightroom

res = 4k video sometimes, most of the time 1080p video

which games, doom, battlefield 4, not really into gaming  

You're still looking at the wrong platform if you're going adobe. There are very few instances where a 1920X or even a 2990WX are faster than an 8700K. Esp since they've worked in hardware acceleration w/ the iGPU. The 2990WX for Adobe is going to net you less performance than the 1920X. If we look at Adobe's track record, that is going to take another decade for them to even bother addressing. The 2950X would be a much better choice over the 2990WX. Just telling you as someone who uses Adobe products everyday. In the end, do what you feel is best.

Some articles to take under advisement:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2018-AMD-Threadripper-2990WX-2950X-Performance-1218/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CC-2018-AMD-Threadripper-2990WX-2950X-Performance-1249/