Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MSI Z170A No Post, No Video

Hello to the community!!

I've recently put together a new PC with all brand new parts (Budget Build). The issue that I'm having is that the system is booting up perfectly well with no errors coming from the mobo speaker or the on board issue detection lights, however I'm not getting any video... not even a post.

I've seen the following on some forums and I'm struggling with it: 

• Some Intel Z170 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Does this mean that I have to find an older non Kaby Lake CPU in order to post and flash the bios?

Thank you in advance to everyone for any advice.

Justin

Current setup:

MSI Z170A M3 Gaming Motherboard - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-GAMING-M3

Intel i5-7500 3.4GHz Processor 

ADATA - XPG SPECTRIX D40 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Full PC Spec List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jyGnw6 

Which port do you have display cables connected? Is it one on the graphics card or on the motherboard?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you update the BIOS on the mobo?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

I've tried it both ways. Removed the graphics card and run off on board DVI and HDMI, as well as with the card inserted and all the ports. No luck...

Just now, bleedblue said:

Did you update the BIOS on the mobo?

Thats what I'm currently struggling with. I've downloaded the latest bios, however I'm unable to get into the bios to update. No video output at all.

You can try to hard reset the mobo by removing all power from the system and the CMOS battery on the mobo. 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

You can try to hard reset the mobo by removing all power from the system and the CMOS battery on the mobo. 

I'm afraid I have tried that, as well as shorting the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard. Sorry I probably should have listed all the approaches I've tried already...

If the BIOS was not updated to support 7000 series chips prior to you buying it then you don't have many options, either return the board and get a 200 series board, call up any local shops and see if they can update it for you, buy a 6000 series chip and update the BIOS. The board you have doesn't have a way to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU so you're SOL on that front.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If the BIOS was not updated to support 7000 series chips prior to you buying it then you don't have many options, either return the board and get a 200 series board, call up any local shops and see if they can update it for you, buy a 6000 series chip and update the BIOS. The board you have doesn't have a way to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU so you're SOL on that front.

Thanks Lurich, I was hoping to avoid having to buy an older chip, but hopefully I can find a shop that has one for me. Thanks to everyone for their help :)