Tired of all in one routers...

Mymkvi0130

I just bought a house and have Fixed Wireless internet but the all in one Linksys EA6300 is getting a bit out of date and with at home plex server, it looks like I need to upgrade. I'm looking to add a Ubiquiti WAP and Switch but am wondering if I need to get a router as well or can I connect my modem directly to the switch and have that handle the ip addressing needs? Any help is appreciated and thank you. I am in the states if that helps.

Cheers.

The Ubiquiti Unifi line is pretty good if you want to get away from an all-in-one device, something like an 8 port or better PoE switch to feed an AP or 2 depending on the size of your home is a setup our clients often go with that delivers good performance. If you drop in a Unifi USG as well, that will give you your routing as well as a nice hardware firewall while staying in the same product family. Configuration is pretty easy, and the products are widely available in the US market. Good Luck!

If your Linksys is able to handle your Internet okay then just continue using it as the router but disable the WiFi once you have setup your new WiFi Access Point.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 8:02 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

If your Linksys is able to handle your Internet okay then just continue using it as the router but disable the WiFi once you have setup your new WiFi Access Point.

It does handle internet but it seems to overheat and then connectivity is lost. I figured if I turned off the wireless cards and go through ethernet this will eliminate some of the heating problems. Nothing is covering it and it can breath but the router is 5ish years old.

Hard to say, could be failing capacitors in the router or PSU rather than overheating.  There isn't really a reason why it should suddenly be overheating today vs five years ago.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7