Pixel 3 series to get guaranteed feature, security updates until October 2021

Speed Weed

Here's an article from Ars Technica on why most Android phones never get updates for more than two years. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/why-isnt-your-old-phone-getting-nougat-theres-blame-enough-to-go-around/

To recap, here is everyone who you can blame when you're wondering why your two-year-old Android phone won't get Nougat:

• Your phone maker (and cellular carrier) for providing poor support for older phones and slow updates for current ones.
  • Qualcomm, for responding to the lack of OEM demand by totally dropping support for chips that are, at most, three years old.
  • Google, possibly for raising the performance requirements for Android and definitely for creating this chaotic update situation in the first place.

For a certain subsection of Android users who are determined to run the update, third-party ROMs like Cyanogenmod and others may eventually make it possible. Those users are willing to put up with a certain amount of instability and insecurity, and ROMs don't need to pass compatibility testing. But that's not a realistic option for most people, who are still being hung out to dry by the companies they gave their money to.

HTC-Anatomy-of-an-Android.thumb.jpg.5387bc0df006fe25ace2e189cb77f916.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 hours ago, Noctus said:

I wasn't following any of the smart watches until i actually needed a new daily watch, had a look at the Android offerings and ended up with the Gear s3, luckily getting it for £60 cheaper on an amazon deal. Win/win imo.

Don't they have to still license it? Since afaik they only have Tizen for their watches and not a fully loaded phone OS? If Samsung totally drop Android for their custom Tizen OS, they would be completely stupid to not form some sort of deal so we can access Google Play services and the shitload of apps at their disposal. On the flipside i can see google trying to stop that from happening, but if it's inevitable, i see them offering to incorporate the Google Play services into Tizen, since that's too big a data harvest to let go. Thirdly if Samsung don't want those services and try to make it on their own and compete with Apples and Google Play app stores etc, they are gonna piss off ALOT of people (inc me) and lose a butt load of customers imo.

That's what I'd imagine they do, I'm sure they've already thought about it, maybe Google really aren't willing to make a deal but Samsung is definitely a large enough company to warrant their own OS. My thinking is if they've not adopted Android Wear for their smartwatches then they might be trying push distinguish themselves from the Android brand. Plus they wouldn't have to work on updates whenever Google pushes a new version of Android.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It’s 100% the phone manafucterer’s fault. Every Android phone manafucterer should  stick to the Android One program and stop forcing customers to use butt ugly themes and laggy interfaces. Stock Android is simply beautiful. And if everyone uses the same flavor of Android then pushing security patches should be easy. 

Then they can't push their 'essential' bloatware services.

Hi, I'm bloatware! You might remember me from apps like 'AT&T Call Protect' and 'TMobile Name ID'...

Image result for troy mcclure

11 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It’s 100% the phone manafucterer’s fault. Every Android phone manafucterer should  stick to the Android One program and stop forcing customers to use butt ugly themes and laggy interfaces. Stock Android is simply beautiful. And if everyone uses the same flavor of Android then pushing security patches should be easy. 

Yeah, no. 

For one, I don't like the look of stock Android now. It looks like it's going back to the days of TouchWiz on the Galaxy S5, and that one did not age well. It's ironic how I've gone from really loving the look of stock Android from KitKat to Marshmallow to now not being a fan of it and preferring Samsung's take on the OS (which actually looks good, and I never thought I'd say that). 

And I have never liked the idea of forcing everyone to be on the same flavor of Android. The beauty of Android is the choice factor. No two Android phones are alike and they have their own distinctive look and featureset. Obviously that comes with flaws like slower updates but at least for some, Treble helps out. 

Forcing everyone on stock Android is almost akin to iOS, where every iPhone runs the same flavor of Apple's operating system. That comes with its own benefits but it doesn't exactly fit with Android's theme 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

That's what I'd imagine they do, I'm sure they've already thought about it, maybe Google really aren't willing to make a deal but Samsung is definitely a large enough company to warrant their own OS. My thinking is if they've not adopted Android Wear for their smartwatches then they might be trying push distinguish themselves from the Android brand. Plus they wouldn't have to work on updates whenever Google pushes a new version of Android.

Yeah definitely agree with that. I just hope that if they do, they strike a deal for at least google store integration. The backlash of no apps would be so bad for them imo, unless they've managed to secretly compile a massive app store in secret or some shit lol.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530