Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU temp rises ot the roof while gaming

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
3 hours ago, richyman said:

Ive read that my cpu tends to run hot and that around 50C isnt too unusual. I dont know tho. The cooler is running at 1250-1300 rpms according to CAM software.

Are you referring to the pump or the fan? Try setting the pump to a static 100% rpm. When reseating, make sure that the cooler was tightened evenly in an X-pattern as opposed to one side before the other. 

My cpu runs around 54C while idle, but as soon as I launch a game, it rises above 90C. I already reapplied thermal paste and reinstalled the liquid cooler (more than once), since I thought it was a hardware issue. I still think it is a hardware issue since I just formated and it does the same. What is causing my temps to rise so much after launching a game? 

Thank you in advanced.

I got an i7 7700k, not overclocked and a deepcool captain 120 ex liquid cooler.

I checked every fan is connected and working and the water seems to be flowing on the liquid cooler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

can you see what RPM your pump is runing at? also, see if the pump block is vibrating a little when gaming. just to make sure it is actually running.

54 degrees idle is super hot btw! should be more like 20-30

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What motherboard are you using and are you using the default settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, richyman said:

Asus Multicore Enhancement is turned on by default and it's effectively an auto oc. Turn it off and see if that fixes your issue. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

can you see what RPM your pump is runing at? also, see if the pump block is vibrating a little when gaming. just to make sure it is actually running.

54 degrees idle is super hot btw! should be more like 20-30

Ive read that my cpu tends to run hot and that around 50C isnt too unusual. I dont know tho. The cooler is running at 1250-1300 rpms according to CAM software.

 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Asus Multicore Enhancement is turned on by default and it's effectively an auto oc. Turn it off and see if that fixes your issue. 

Will do, and let you know. Thanks.

I still get 50C with justt chrome open, I cant see if oppening a game will make the temps rise cause Im reinstalling the games, but the temp is the same on idle. Should I have the cores set on "sync all cores" or on auto?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, richyman said:

I still get 50C with justt chrome open, I cant see if oppening a game will make the temps rise cause Im reinstalling the games, but the temp is the same on idle. Should I have the cores set on "sync all cores" or on auto?

it will still make a difference. MCE is oc'ing your cpu with probably very high voltages. if you dont want a oc, disable MCE completely. the high voltage = high temps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, saksham said:

what case do you have?

Yeah... mini itx build, it is a phanteks evolv shift. But Ive had this setup for over a year and this is the 1st time with this issue.

 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Asus Multicore Enhancement is turned on by default and it's effectively an auto oc. Turn it off and see if that fixes your issue. 

I ran userbenchmark and it still reaches 100C :/.

 

I think I fixed it. I followed th advice on this video 

 and set the maximum processor state to 60%. It no longer reached above 60C when I started UserBenchmark.

Im yet to see if this affects my fps tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

does that set max cpu utilization? if so, that just ruined your game performance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, saksham said:

does that set max cpu utilization? if so, that just ruined your game performance. 

yep. Ima run rainbow six siege in 5 hours to see how it affects the game. Just waiting for it to install. It did however fix the temperature issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, richyman said:

yep. Ima run rainbow six siege in 5 hours to see how it affects the game. Just waiting for it to install. It did however fix the temperature issue.

Well.. so I'm not an expert really, but limiting your CPU utilization is going to definitely bog you down big time. Also, I think the more important issue is that you actually figure out why you are running that damn hot, there's legitimately no reason you should be going that high non-OC. Even OC'ed .. 100C? Damn.. But yeah otherwise you're just gonna have more issues later on down the road dude. Don't settle for 60% of what your CPU you paid good money for could be giving you.

 

Its undoubtedly your cooler..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, If its a new pc, return the cooler and get a new one. Its probably damaged in some way. But first, disable MCE and check temps. if its still problematic, replace the CPU if it is in warranty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, richyman said:

Ive read that my cpu tends to run hot and that around 50C isnt too unusual. I dont know tho. The cooler is running at 1250-1300 rpms according to CAM software.

Are you referring to the pump or the fan? Try setting the pump to a static 100% rpm. When reseating, make sure that the cooler was tightened evenly in an X-pattern as opposed to one side before the other. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, camjay said:

Well.. so I'm not an expert really, but limiting your CPU utilization is going to definitely bog you down big time. Also, I think the more important issue is that you actually figure out why you are running that damn hot, there's legitimately no reason you should be going that high non-OC. Even OC'ed .. 100C? Damn.. But yeah otherwise you're just gonna have more issues later on down the road dude. Don't settle for 60% of what your CPU you paid good money for could be giving you.

 

Its undoubtedly your cooler..

Yes, it is most likely an issue with the cooler.

 

1 hour ago, saksham said:

Actually, If its a new pc, return the cooler and get a new one. Its probably damaged in some way. But first, disable MCE and check temps. if its still problematic, replace the CPU if it is in warranty. 

It is not a new build, and even tho the warranty is probably still valid, I buy the parts on the U.S and I live in Mexico, so it is a real hassle. Id probably just buy a replacement for the cooler, which is also a huge hassle considering my build is itx and everything is very tight and hard to rearrange. But yeah, Id probably buy a new cooler. Ill let you guys know how the game performance goes in 2 hours when it finishes installing.

 

54 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you referring to the pump or the fan? Try setting the pump to a static 100% rpm. When reseating, make sure that the cooler was tightened evenly in an X-pattern as opposed to one side before the other. 

it only has 2 screws on each side, but yeah, I tightened them evenly, at least I tried to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to fix the temp issue by going to power options and changing the maximum processor state down from 100% to 75% (i started at 60% then tried 95% and settled on 75% since the higher I go, the higher the temps get). It does however decrease my fps and even tho I still manage to get 140+, I bought a 240hz monitor 2 months ago and I was reaching 240hz fps, not anymore tho, not wihtout high temps. 

So I can fix it at the expense of fps, I already reinstalled the cooler and checked everything is working, made adjustments in the bios (made sure voltage isnt high, turned off overlocking) I dont know what the issue is, it has to be hardware but everything seems fine. Id propably end up buying a new cooler, but it will take me hours and a lot, really a lot, of effort to change things on the itx build (evolv shift) so if I can avoid that, Id be very happy.

 @WoodenMarker @saksham @camjay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the core voltage set to?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's the core voltage set to?

I would have to restart and check. I set it to adaptive but I can tell you the min and max values according to CPUID. Min. voltage =0.643. Max. voltage= 0.939.

I was getting up to 1.39V before adjusting the bios.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have to stop using that cooler if you did all the check mentioned by above. You might be better off using a cheap air cooler that your broken AIO. It is just too risky to runs your CPU above 90 degrees for hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I got it... if the temps just started rising out of nowhere, and it was running fine previously, then i think the AIO pump died. Can you hear the pump? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, saksham said:

I think I got it... if the temps just started rising out of nowhere, and it was running fine previously, then i think the AIO pump died. Can you hear the pump? 

I can hear it and feel it, it is weird. Seems to be working but it has to be the cooler. Ill guess Ill replace it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Type 2501 said:

I think you have to stop using that cooler if you did all the check mentioned by above. You might be better off using a cheap air cooler that your broken AIO. It is just too risky to runs your CPU above 90 degrees for hours.

Cant, build is barely fit into the case, Id need to buy a new cooler and the exact same one to be sure everything fits. It was so hard to build, milimiters of space,not even 1 cm.

But yeah, new cooler I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have one laying around man, definitely use an air cooler for now, and if it's feasible, just leave the side of your case off so it fits for now? That's what I'd do till I could afford a new AIO. Good luck man best wishes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×