My SD card won't format (ended my card is defective)

Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,

DISKPART, Disk management and third party tools cannot format the card... It sounds like a defective piece unfortunately, if you have anything that's important do a back up and get it replaced. 

So my SanDisk ultra 32gb won't format tried pc and all that so it has 2 partitions both of which I can't delete is it dead or is there hope?

4 minutes ago, TeenWizarth said:

So my SanDisk ultra 32gb won't format tried pc and all that so it has 2 partitions both of which I can't delete is it dead or is there hope?

How are you trying to delete the partitions?

Is this a new or used SD card? How did it get the partitions?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, TeenWizarth said:

Windows is weird with partitions on removable media (SD Cards, Flash Drives, etc.). The system tools in Windows like disk manager can see the partitions on the drive usually but Windows itself will only do stuff with the first partition and will throw a hissyfit if you try to touch anything other than the initial partition, especially on Windows 7 and earlier.

If you're trying to use Windows tools to format it I'd either strongly recommend grabbing a third party partition tool like Easus Partition Manager Free, or using the command line tool diskpart.

20 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

How are you trying to delete the partitions?

Is this a new or used SD card? How did it get the partitions?

image.png.663266f32b13fa061d5bcc9050949676.pngi used the sd card as my phone's internal storage so maybe that's why

21 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Windows is weird with partitions on removable media (SD Cards, Flash Drives, etc.). The system tools in Windows like disk manager can see the partitions on the drive usually but Windows itself will only do stuff with the first partition and will throw a hissyfit if you try to touch anything other than the initial partition, especially on Windows 7 and earlier.

If you're trying to use Windows tools to format it I'd either strongly recommend grabbing a third party partition tool like Easus Partition Manager Free, or using the command line tool diskpart.

i have tried won't go past pending operations any suggestions?image.png.6e2b0168a573dcb8f8eefc70e97a4584.png

27 minutes ago, TeenWizarth said:

i have tried won't go past pending operations any suggestions?image.png.6e2b0168a573dcb8f8eefc70e97a4584.png

Click Apply

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You can use dispart to wipe the device when windows disk management won’t. 

Run CMD as admin

type diskpart, hit enter

list disk, hit enter

sel disk x (x being the drive number of the card, which if you haven’t changed things is 6)

clean, hit enter 

exit, hit enter

now you should be able to format it in disk management 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

sadly i believe my sd card is dead the methods wont work still wont format or still cant delete the two partitions

Can you with boot up a Linux live cd/usb and try formatting in that OS?

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

i would have kali linux but i seem to have lost my usb still looking for it might have misplaced it inside something and accidentally thrown it into the trash or my mom any other suggestions?

15 minutes ago, SeanSSD said:

Can you with boot up a Linux live cd/usb and try formatting in that OS?

is there an android phone solution?

Just now, TeenWizarth said:

is there an android phone solution?

depends on if your phone is rooted. If Rooted you can use Aparted. If not then no. Android restricts low level storage access to the SD card to prevent random apps reading your data.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

depends on if your phone is rooted. If Rooted you can use Aparted. If not then no. Android restricts low level storage access to the SD card to prevent random apps reading your data.

no problem my phone is rooted

DISKPART, Disk management and third party tools cannot format the card... It sounds like a defective piece unfortunately, if you have anything that's important do a back up and get it replaced. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming