Which raid card to buy for raid 6?

Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,
1 hour ago, Mads-Ejnar said:

Intel RST

Ouch....I understand now why you want a better solution....

Are you completely set on using a RAID card? Or have you considered better software solutions like Windows Storage Spaces which allows for 2 drive parity? 

Personally I currently have a raid with 12 x 3TB WD Red's in a RAID6 on my LSI-9271-8i - really good card but quite expensive. 

If you want an LSI raid card you might want to lean towards a 9260-8i....theyre far cheaper, and you can get the CacheCade key for a fraction of the price which enables SSD caching. You'll also have to make sure whichever card you get you get a BBU (battery backup unit) as well, so you can enable write-back which is far higher performance than write-through. 

1 minute ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Thank you, that helps. I was wondering how that worked when I built the array, but there's not much out there that details the behavior of hardware RAID for storing info to identify which drive has what and where. For the first time in ages, I now have all I need-- at least for this subject.

No problem, also I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything but don't think the way HDDs advertise their size is correct. It's just a display unit thing but the way the OS does it is more correct than what the HDD industry decided to do, they are just being stubborn about it.

The only time 1GB means 1000000000 bytes is when it's written on an HDD, every other time it means 1073741824 bytes. IEC had to create the new units because of the HDD industry so now we have GiB and GB etc yet with not proper adherence to what is actually meant when used.

17 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

@leadeater Would there still be RAID header data even though it's an HBA card (should be pass through)?

Not for a true HBA no but for a RAID card with a disk marked in JBOD mode yes.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not for a true HBA no but for a RAID card with a disk marked in JBOD mode yes.

Ah, I was thinking Phas3L0ck was using pass through on the LSi 9311 to software RAID...I forgot that those HBAs did basic RAID 0,1, and 10.