Z390 Board with just one 8-pin PSU connector?

I want to build a new computer with a µATX Board. I want to use the Z390 Chipset. First I will install an i3 8100 and when the prices drop, I will install an i7 or i9 of the 9th Generation.

I have to decide between these two Boards:
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10#kf

ASRock Z390M Pro4: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390M Pro4/index.asp

I am not sure about the additional 4pin Connector from the Gigabyte Board. Seems like almost every Z390 Board comes with an additional CPU connector. I am wondering if the gigabyte board will start and work properly if i just connect the 8 pin to the mobo.

The downside of Gigabyte is their buggy BIOS in the past. ASRock is doing good boards lately, but the cooling mechanisms seem to be very cheap. I dont know if you can even overclock the CPU moderate without having cooling issues with the VRMs.

The fact that even z390 ITX-Boards also just have an 8 pin connector makes me think that it would work, even with overclocking. Otherwise all Boards will have stability issues. Also many Z370 motherboards dont have the additional 4 or 8 pin connector.

Any advice on that? Which board would you take?

I wouldnt go that route of upgrading at all.

If you really want to go that route then grab a Z370 board.

Otherwise grab a B450 Tomahawk (or a itx board) board and an r5 2600 + whatever GPU you will be pairing it with. Its just a mich better route to go these days. Pricing on Intel CPUs wont be dropping for a while as the 14nm shortage will be in effect to at least next year

Edited by GoldenLag

I already have the parts. I got an used i3 8100 for 80 bucks. I will wait till the prices will drop.

12 minutes ago, Kazuya91 said:

I already have the parts. I got an used i3 8100 for 80 bucks. I will wait till the prices will drop.

mid next year are the insiders saying.

with that, I'd get an ITX Board, a bit of memory and build a nice Office PC - or sell the CPU for 90-120 Bucks. And get a Ryzen instead.

Intel got soo expensive that an i3-8100 is at the price level of a Ryzen 5/1600 over here...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I appreciate the answers here. But please stick to my questions. I want to build a hackintosh, so i have to use intel. Otherwise i would buy AMD. But I didnt know that people drift out that much so I didnt mention  it.

• 10 months later...
On 10/14/2018 at 3:30 PM, Kazuya91 said:

I appreciate the answers here. But please stick to my questions. I want to build a hackintosh, so i have to use intel. Otherwise i would buy AMD. But I didnt know that people drift out that much so I didnt mention  it.

I have the same issue trying to find the psu that have an extra 2x2 (P4 connector). The manual seems to said I have to connect all to work. But I couldn't find one psu that have all three 24 pins, P8 and P4 connectors.

Have u figured out the answer yet @Kazuya91?

All others help would be much appreciated.

As far as I know, the extra CPU power connector is there for extreme overclocking purposes and you don't need to use it. Some of the new x570 boards for AMD even have two 8-pin connectors but only one is needed for everything to work.

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

11 minutes ago, Dubba said:

Some of the new x570 boards for AMD even have two 8-pin connectors but only one is needed for everything to work.

two 8-pin connectors are only there for marketing purposes. unless you bring out a tub of LN2 you wont reach the 384w to saturate the minimum spec of the 8pin. 

the only CPUs that must have more than a single 8-pin are the 28 core HEDT from intel. and the 14 9990XE and 9980XE from intel. 

tho HEDT its preferable to have an extra connector if you are doing any overclocking. 

1 hour ago, Jannov said:

I have the same issue trying to find the psu that have an extra 2x2 (P4 connector). The manual seems to said I have to connect all to work. But I couldn't find one psu that have all three 24 pins, P8 and P4 connectors.

what board are you running?

any good 550w PSU should work fine. something like the TX550M

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

two 8-pin connectors are only there for marketing purposes. unless you bring out a tub of LN2 you wont reach the 384w to saturate the minimum spec of the 8pin. 

the only CPUs that must have more than a single 8-pin are the 28 core HEDT from intel. and the 14 9990XE and 9980XE from intel. 

tho HEDT its preferable to have an extra connector if you are doing any overclocking. 

what board are you running?

any good 550w PSU should work fine. something like the TX550M

I am using the Gigabyte z390 m gaming board. It has 24 pins, P8 and P4 connectors. (Attached screenshot.)

and whenever I pair most of the PSU (my choice is be quiet? Pure Power 11 CM) in pc part picker, it would show warning:

• "Warning!Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has a 4-pin ATX power connector but the be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as overclocking or large video card current draws may require it."

Screenshot_2019-08-29-15-47-43-928_com.adobe.reader.png

39 minutes ago, Jannov said:

and whenever I pair most of the PSU (my choice is be quiet? Pure Power 11 CM) in pc part picker, it would show warning:

Ignore the warning. 

You will never use more than the minimum spec of the 8 pin EPS connector.

The pure power 11 cm (above 400w) will work fine.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Ignore the warning. 

You will never use more than the minimum spec of the 8 pin EPS connector.

The pure power 11 cm (above 400w) will work fine.

Thank you so much for your information. You are very helpful @GoldenLag. :)

3 hours ago, Dubba said:

As far as I know, the extra CPU power connector is there for extreme overclocking purposes and you don't need to use it. Some of the new x570 boards for AMD even have two 8-pin connectors but only one is needed for everything to work.

@Dubba That really give me a peace of mind. At first, I read some ideas in other forums putting splitting the 2x4 12V into two 2x2 12 V and plugging each half into each connectors in the motherboards (half in 2x2, and another in 2x4).

I trust ya, and will follow suit with my build. :) Thank you.