Does this ebay offer look dodgy/too good to be true to you?

Hello guys,

I was looking at 2nd hand CPUs and I came across a couple of offers that got me scratching my head if they are legit or not... I thought to ask before buying so I have some kind of an idea what "too good to be true" really means when we are talking 2nd hand... 

i7 6950X

i7 6800K

i7 4960X

i7-980X

I know, I know, 2nd hand CPUs and GPUs are a bad idea to go for. I am thinking of going Threadripper myself, but a friend of mine has an X99 MB and would rather just get a higher end CPU for his MB... Anyway, does anything about these CPUs seem off to you? Do they look scammy?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Asides from being from China and possibly taking forever to get to you, everything else seems pretty normal. Pricing is a bit high compared to just buying it used off of some other random eBay listing though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Asides from being from China and possibly taking forever to get to you, everything else seems pretty normal. Pricing is a bit high compared to just buying it used off of some other random eBay listing though. 

I wonder what "QS" means. There is another i7 6950X that he sells for $740 without the "QS" (and by the way, there are reviews on that CPU).

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Just now, WhiteSkyMage said:

I wonder what "QS" means. There is another i7 6950X that he sells for $740 without the "QS" (and by the way, there are reviews on that CPU).

It's a Quality / Engineering Sample. They're usually functionally the same but can have problems which are mostly minor like not showing up as the retail cpu in software like CPU-Z.

They're loaned by Intel and illegal to resell. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005719/processors.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's a Quality / Engineering Sample. They're usually functionally the same but can have problems which are mostly minor like not showing up as the retail cpu in software like CPU-Z.

They're loaned by Intel and illegal to resell. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005719/processors.html

So I'm guessing I can trust this one? i7 6960X non-QS 

1 minute ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

So I'm guessing I can trust this one? i7 6960X non-QS 

Seems fine. 

eBay has a money back guarantee that's basically bulletproof if you're the buyer. If you suspect the CPU you receive to be a fake, just open an item not as described return request, and the seller will (almost always) have no choice but to provide a label for you to ship the CPU back to China at their expense.

Also, there is zero reason to buy an i7-980X. Just buy any LGA 1366 Xeon between X5650 and X5690, overclock the living poo out of it and boom, i7-980X.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

eBay has a money back guarantee that's basically bulletproof if you're the buyer. If you suspect the CPU you receive to be a fake, just open an item not as described return request, and the seller will (almost always) have no choice but to provide a label for you to ship the CPU back to China at their expense.

Also, there is zero reason to buy an i7-980X. Just buy any LGA 1366 Xeon between X5650 and X5690, overclock the living poo out of it and boom, i7-980X.

I was gonna buy a i7 6950X. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

I was gonna buy a i7 6950X. 

Why not something like a Threadripper 1950X instead? Sorry, not trying to nose in if you've already made up your mind, but a 6950X doesn't make a lot of sense these days when a 1950X costs considerably less.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Just curious why do you think you need a 6950x?

I do. UE4 projects take quite a good while to build from source. My sister video edits and I usually render her videos (not for YT, but she studies Media).

I will buy a Threadripper once the new TR is out (TR4 is until 2020). I don't wanna throw away a good MB away. 1950X costs a bit less than 2950X. However if I sell my CPU, id effectively have a 10-core CPU for about $400-500. Buying a TR MB+CPU+high speed RAM will cost a lot more.

1 minute ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

I do. UE4 projects take quite a good while to build from source. My sister video edits and I usually render her videos (not for YT, but she studies Media).

IMO you dont :P https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Unreal-Engine-4-16-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Skylake-Ryzen-7-984/

Clearly shows your not going to get very much for going 6950x. I wouldnt suggest getting it but alas your choice :)

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

IMO you dont :P https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Unreal-Engine-4-16-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Skylake-Ryzen-7-984/

Clearly shows your not going to get very much for going 6950x. I wouldnt suggest getting it but alas your choice :)

Ok.. ty I was wondering why some people were buying TR CPUs for just building UE4 from source... Yeah... i guess i don't need it.

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Thats pretty much the closest your going to get for a official benchmark.

yeah sorry i edited my comment :)

Anyway I am guessing that this just means my X99 platform is kinda "old". I can possibly just get a cheap TR later on if I happen to actually need it. Seems like a lot of cores is only needed for very little tasks.

Anyway this was eye opening. Ty @Shimejii

16 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

yeah sorry i edited my comment :)

Anyway I am guessing that this just means my X99 platform is kinda "old". I can possibly just get a cheap TR later on if I happen to actually need it. Seems like a lot of cores is only needed for very little tasks.

Anyway this was eye opening. Ty @Shimejii

Np :)