Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

are my measurements right?

iLostMyXbox21

okay, i am buying foam paneling to help with should dampening in my room.. i am not the best at measuring so i need assistance..

my wall (from trim to trim, height) is 6.66666 (repeated) so buying 6 foam panels (12x12) would cover (almost) all of it

now, the pack i am buying is 48 pieces (still 12”x12”) so it is 48’ total.. now, there are 2 walls i wanna partially cover

so, i wanna put 48 panels evenly distributed on my walls, 24 on each

i wanted to find out how many feet (panels) i could go outwards in each direction (left and right) 

since i will buy 48, and my wall can fit 6 in height, 48 / 6 = 8

then i need to find out how many feet in each wall length wise..

so 2 walls, meaning 8 / 2 = 4

so with 48 panels, i can have 4 columns on 6 on each wall, equaling 8 total columns (4 x 2 = 8) 

then going up and down

so 6 x 8 = 48

so on both of my walls, i can cover 24 square feet of paneling on each..

did i do this right?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Seems right.

My suggestion: If you have limited panels, not enough to cover the entire width of the wall, you have 2 ways of installing them:

1. Concentrate around where the sound is going to be loudest - make the panels dense and close together right where your TV or computer is.

2. Space them out evenly across the entire wall (Eg: Your wall is 12 feet long. You have 4x tiles to place width-wise. You space the tiles out every 3 feet).

Option 1 is good if you're doing streaming or something and want to limit noise coming out of your room. Option 2 is good if you want to limit noise coming into the room.

You may want to try both, and see which appears more effective.

Alternatively, if you have a lot of the 2 walls not covered width-wise, you could take one of the 6 vertical tiles, and move it into the horizontal. (This would change from 6 tiles high to 5 tiles high - use the saved tiles to spread the width wider).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Seems right.

My suggestion: If you have limited panels, not enough to cover the entire width of the wall, you have 2 ways of installing them:

1. Concentrate around where the sound is going to be loudest - make the panels dense and close together right where your TV or computer is.

2. Space them out evenly across the entire wall (Eg: Your wall is 12 feet long. You have 4x tiles to place width-wise. You space the tiles out every 3 feet).

Option 1 is good if you're doing streaming or something and want to limit noise coming out of your room. Option 2 is good if you want to limit noise coming into the room.

You may want to try both, and see which appears more effective.

Alternatively, if you have a lot of the 2 walls not covered width-wise, you could take one of the 6 vertical tiles, and move it into the horizontal. (This would change from 6 tiles high to 5 tiles high - use the saved tiles to spread the width wider).

oh okay. i was just gonna cover a small segment of my wall where the sound will be greatest

22 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

oh okay. i was just gonna cover a small segment of my wall where the sound will be greatest

That might be fine. But I would also test spreading them out to cover a larger surface area of the wall, with small gaps between them.

By spreading them out, you'll reduce the amount of sound that just bounces around your walls.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That might be fine. But I would also test spreading them out to cover a larger surface area of the wall, with small gaps between them.

By spreading them out, you'll reduce the amount of sound that just bounces around your walls.

i haven’t bought them yet

si spreading them out helps block the sound?

1 hour ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i haven’t bought them yet

si spreading them out helps block the sound?

Yes - though by how much depends on the specific variables, including how loud/echo-y the room in question gets.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes - though by how much depends on the specific variables, including how loud/echo-y the room in question gets.

not very echo-y, in fact.. i’ve never hear an echo.. the longest wall is 11ft, then i think 8 ft.. then 7ft tall i think.. i’m not sure..

but out there are 2 beds, a closet, 3 huge cardboard boxes, a tv stand, and a tv