Why are all the external memory cases for Iphones dead, dying or AWOL?

LyellLiar

If you're like me and the idea of shelling out an extra few hundred dollars/pounds to upgrade your 16gb of storage to 64 or even 32 gb, then you might have felt that twinge of regret as your 30th app or 100th video finally puts you in a never ending cycle of "storage almost full" purgatory.

So rather than upgrade the phone and bloat up your phone payments, you think "is there a case with built in ext. storage?"

Well there is, or at least there was.

I saw Mophie first, advertising their battery+storage case back in 2016:

http://uk.mophie.com/shop/space-pack

That's gone now, replaced with a battery only range. No product has external storage anymore.

Maybe iXtra? they had a successful $30k Kickstarter.

http://ixtratech.com

They've disappeared, never to be heard of again.

SanDisk iXpand? Now there is a recognisable brand name! Surely that's what i'm looking for!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-32GB-Memory-iPhone/dp/B01EUXL36W

Nope, almost universally non-functional and hated, with limited usability. I'd say this a dying product.

Maybe we look to China? KUNER Kuke claims to be able to add 256gb to your iphone 7! Great!

https://www.amazon.com/KUNER-Original-Lightning-Ultrathin-iphone-7-plus-5-5-inch/dp/B01N52OZSH

It's unavailable of course, and has been for nearly a year and isn't available for iphone 6 or 8.

There's a whole host of usb-like devices that you can use for external storage, but the point of this is to avoid carrying around a small, easy to lose little dongle that needs removing every time you charge your phone.

So LTT, why is the market so barren? It seems such and obvious market niche that I'd honestly be interested in seeing a comparison video of some of these products, just to see why they're all failures/hated.

10 minutes ago, LyellLiar said:

If you're like me and the idea of shelling out an extra few hundred dollars/pounds to upgrade your 16gb of storage to 64 or even 32 gb, then you might have felt that twinge of regret as your 30th app or 100th video finally puts you in a never ending cycle of "storage almost full" purgatory.

So rather than upgrade the phone and bloat up your phone payments, you think "is there a case with built in ext. storage?"

Well there is, or at least there was.

I saw Mophie first, advertising their battery+storage case back in 2016:

http://uk.mophie.com/shop/space-pack

That's gone now, replaced with a battery only range. No product has external storage anymore.

Maybe iXtra? they had a successful $30k Kickstarter.

http://ixtratech.com

They've disappeared, never to be heard of again.

SanDisk iXpand? Now there is a recognisable brand name! Surely that's what i'm looking for!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-32GB-Memory-iPhone/dp/B01EUXL36W

Nope, almost universally non-functional and hated, with limited usability. I'd say this a dying product.

Maybe we look to China? KUNER Kuke claims to be able to add 256gb to your iphone 7! Great!

https://www.amazon.com/KUNER-Original-Lightning-Ultrathin-iphone-7-plus-5-5-inch/dp/B01N52OZSH

It's unavailable of course, and has been for nearly a year and isn't available for iphone 6 or 8.

There's a whole host of usb-like devices that you can use for external storage, but the point of this is to avoid carrying around a small, easy to lose little dongle that needs removing every time you charge your phone.

So LTT, why is the market so barren? It seems such and obvious market niche that I'd honestly be interested in seeing a comparison video of some of these products, just to see why they're all failures/hated.

Personally Apple should have had an expandable memory slot on their product to begin with.  Hence why I don't use Apple at all. 

As for the cases, my Father in Law had the Mophie case on his Iphone and it was terrible.  It got really hot in your hands, the memory slot would work only when it felt like it, and it just felt cheap.  He got rid of that and just upgraded his phone to one with more storage.  Plus he always makes sure to remove anything from his phone every night now so he doesn't clog up his storage.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

These products die because they are not convenient, too expensive, and are essentially useless as the only thing you can do with them is load photos and videos onto them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I use a SanDisk Connect for my iPhone and laptop at school. The thing's battery lasts about a week and makes sharing data between my devices easy as I connect it to my server once I enter the garage for backup and charging.

I dislike memory cases since their usability dies once you no longer have the phone or device. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

25 minutes ago, LyellLiar said:

Because manufacturers would rather encourage planned obsolescence than support the longevity of a device for those who maybe couldn't afford the larger capacity model at time of purchase. If you had asked prior to eMMC storage being 1) much cheaper and 2) UHS3 SD cards being widely available, then I'd have said they don't support expandable storage because it was much slower. Now a days, even external storage is fast enough to run basic apps on, but manufacturers still don't provide the user a choice to even try out expandable storage options to see if they'll suit their needs based on the apps they use.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

28 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

As for the cases, my Father in Law had the Mophie case on his Iphone and it was terrible.  It got really hot in your hands, the memory slot would work only when it felt like it, and it just felt cheap.

Makes perfect sense, all these products seem to be universally bad. I just wonder how no one has managed something even halfway decent.

19 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

These products die because they are not convenient, too expensive, and are essentially useless as the only thing you can do with them is load photos and videos onto them. 

yes and yes, but honestly all I'd want to do is load videos/photos on to them. They'd still be accessible by my phone but no longer taking up valuable app space.

14 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I use a SanDisk Connect for my iPhone and laptop at school. The thing's battery lasts about a week and makes sharing data between my devices easy as I connect it to my server once I enter the garage for backup and charging.

I dislike memory cases since their usability dies once you no longer have the phone or device. 

I'm tempted to get a SanDisk connect, but I'm already so forgetful with my phone I can't imagine id be any better with what amounts to a USB stick.

45 minutes ago, LyellLiar said:

Just buy a 128GB google pixel 1st gen instead of any iphone to start with? they're really cheap on the used market now

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, LyellLiar said:

I'm tempted to get a SanDisk connect, but I'm already so forgetful with my phone I can't imagine id be any better with what amounts to a USB stick.

I keep mine attached to my carabiner or inside my wallet depending on what my activity is. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just buy a 128GB google pixel 1st gen instead of any iphone to start with? they're really cheap on the used market now

Inertia, which may seem like a bad excuse. I've had an iPhone 6 for nearly 10 years and its still chugging fine, storage is literally the only problem. 

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I keep mine attached to my carabiner or inside my wallet depending on what my activity is. 

Good idea. Might be a cop out for me to say I'm not that organised, but its the truth. Though at £50 it's a price point that makes it worth a shot.

16 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Because manufacturers would rather encourage planned obsolescence than support the longevity of a device for those who maybe couldn't afford the larger capacity model at time of purchase. If you had asked prior to eMMC storage being 1) much cheaper and 2) UHS3 SD cards being widely available, then I'd have said they don't support expandable storage because it was much slower. Now a days, even external storage is fast enough to run basic apps on, but manufacturers still don't provide the user a choice to even try out expandable storage options to see if they'll suit their needs based on the apps they use.

I agree with you here, but it's in apples interest rather than peripheral manufacturers, and the ones that tried seemed to have burned up on entry to the market. Maybe apple intentionally makes it difficult for this type of peripheral to work, it seems strange that it would be so difficult.

1 hour ago, LyellLiar said:

Inertia, which may seem like a bad excuse. I've had an iPhone 6 for nearly 10 years and its still chugging fine, storage is literally the only problem. 

Depending on your carrier if you're in the US anyways you might be able to get a really good deal on a phone

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Pixel-128GB-Quite-Black-Verizon-Smartphone/283208460691?epid=229567448&hash=item41f08a2993:g:KkwAAOSwHt1bwUYT:rk:28:pf:0

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Personally Apple should have had an expandable memory slot on their product to begin with.

Shit SD cards cause slow downs. Thats why Apple and some Android phones such as the Google Pixel dont have SD card slots. Actually from what I have read, Stock Android has no SD card support. The only reason why some phones have it, is the phone makers add it in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.