URGENT AMD 2200g HELP

Fez760
Go to solution Solved by Zmax,

There 2 option for Bios update

Go to a computer repair shop and ask it they can do it , You need first generation CPU  to get the right Bios.

Go to AMD web site and fill form for a kit with first generation CPU. From what I have read , you need to return it , but shipping should be free.

So CPU finally came in today go back through some of my other posts to get a longer story but i got it and went to install it.. huh well crap motherboard with everything connected heat sink installation was a no go... so bit it and disassembled the case (only missing ram) had trouble installing the heat sink had to kind of press it down (not crazy hard but its on there but... it felt rough got power to the board did a quick power on with just the psu and fan spins... duh but the cpu error light is still on 

MSI b350m gaming pro + Ryzen 3 2200g

You'll probably need to update the bios, B350 boards were first gen Ryzen boards, depending how long that board had been sat in a store/warehouse, it won't have the correct BIOS for 2nd gen Ryzen chips.

To update the BIOS you'll need a compatible 1st gen CPU, or a local computer store may be able to do it for you.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Your post is hard to read, I've got no idea what you're saying. If you want people to help, improve your writing and give us more details. 

1 minute ago, Frenky said:

Your post is hard to read, I've got no idea what you're saying. If you want people to help, improve your writing and give us more details. 

It wasn't even that hard to read honestly and ya don't even need to read it to see that it's probably a BIOS issue, just the motherboard and CPU combo gives it away.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, iRileyx said:

You'll probably need to update the bios, B350 boards were first gen Ryzen boards, depending how long that board had been sat in a store/warehouse, it won't have the correct BIOS for 2nd gen Ryzen chips.

True yes TBH i thought everything would be fine since there were about 5 bios updates before hand

1 minute ago, Fez760 said:

True yes TBH i thought everything would be fine since there were about 5 bios updates before hand

Just because BIOS updates were brought out doesn't mean the board will have them, the board has to be manufactured after those dates for it to have the BIOS installed. If it's been sat in a a warehouse or a stores storage for a few months, it'll have an earlier bios on it.

Is there anyway to check without getting the RAM in before hand

Just now, Fez760 said:

Only way you could check would be if you had a 1st gen Ryzen chip to test in it, to see if it actually boots.

Just now, iRileyx said:

Only way you could check would be if you had a 1st gen Ryzen chip to test in it, to see if it actually boots.

Read as, you need ram before you can check anything.

1 minute ago, iRileyx said:

well really regretting my go with the 2200g to get it up and running first idea

9 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

As in you don't have RAM, or you left the RAM in?

Just try reseating your RAM and try it a few times, DDR4 can be a pain, make sure it's really pressed in there and wiggle it around a bit to get it settled.

Also that board isn't good for an APU, you should just return it, it doesn't have a heatsink over the VRM above the CPU, and that's where the iGPU will draw all of it's power

you want an ASrock Pro 4, MSI Tomahawk, or Gigabyte B450 ITX board at minimum

3 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

If you don't have DDR4 at all it's not going to post

The R3 2200G is a perfectly fine budget CPU/GPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The boards with updates BIOS versions should still be shipping with a sticker that says "Second Generation Ready" or something like that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Read as, you need ram before you can check anything.

Hmm, maybe his first post is a bit hard to read after all xD 

1 minute ago, Fez760 said:

well really regretting my go with the 2200g to get it up and running first idea

So you dont actually have the RAM to install yet?

That'll be why you can't boot. You need RAM to boot.

Just now, Lurick said:

The boards with updates BIOS versions should still be shipping with a sticker that says "Second Generation Ready" or something like that.

I also completely forgot about that as well wow it seems a lot slipped my mind since its finally happening

Just now, Fez760 said:

I also completely forgot about that as well wow it seems a lot slipped my mind since its finally happening

Whatever RAM you buy make sure it's 3000mhz or better, or just as close to it as you can get.

If you can't return the motherboard try sticking a fan over the top VRM that doesn't have a heatsink for peace of mind

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, iRileyx said:

Hmm, maybe his first post is a bit hard to read after all xD 

So you dont actually have the RAM to install yet?

That'll be why you can't boot. You need RAM to boot.

Yes you do need ram to boot the question was is there any way at all to tell without waiting for the ram first 2 no not my first post im worried since i finally pulled the trigger on this computer and its quite a bit of money from my stand point

Just now, Fez760 said:

Yes you do need ram to boot the question was is there any way at all to tell without waiting for the ram first 2 no not my first post im worried since i finally pulled the trigger on this computer and its quite a bit of money from my stand point

No, you need ram to boot, and you need to be able to boot to get into bios, if you can't boot you can't check what BIOS is on it.

On the box there may be a manufacturing date, could compare that to BIOS releases to see if it was manufactured when an updated BIOS was brought out or not, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

Did you already order the RAM or were you planning to buy it much later? Because it's a bad idea to buy a PC in pieces.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you already order the RAM or were you planning to buy it much later? Because it's a bad idea to buy a PC in pieces.

Oh you better believe i bought it in pieces just couldn't wait and now im paying the real price next buy was ironically enough the RAM

10 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

Oh you better believe i bought it in pieces just couldn't wait and now im paying the real price next buy was ironically enough the RAM

Wait are you actually in the US? if so why did you buy that motherboard? you should just return it and buy the new board with the RAM in one order just in case there's issues with it

Spoiler

There 2 option for Bios update

Go to a computer repair shop and ask it they can do it , You need first generation CPU  to get the right Bios.

Go to AMD web site and fill form for a kit with first generation CPU. From what I have read , you need to return it , but shipping should be free.

I have gone through this entire thread from top to bottom...3 times...and I still cannot determine if there actual RAM available/installed.

The computer won't properly POST if you don't have any RAM installed.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

I have gone through this entire thread from top to bottom...3 times...and I still cannot determine if there actual RAM available/installed.

The computer won't properly POST if you don't have any RAM installed.

There is no RAM, this thread is pointless.

10 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

There is no RAM, this thread is pointless.

the problem has been taken care of and the last 4 people saying ram is needed is the same as saying you need a power supply to turn the thing on im aware of the problem lets try one more time IS THERE a possible way to check the bios WITHOUT having the ram YET. it is not can you run a computer wihtout ram or that you need ram to get into the bios