Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Macs & not upgrading MacOS

I have owned a Mac for over 10 years, and I upgraded to the newest version of MacOS every time a new version was released. It also helped that I used to be in a financial position to buy new Macs once every few years to keep the hardware up to date. However, I really have no interest in updating my MacBook Pro to Majoave. I really like High Sierra, I don't want to lose Back To My Mac, and my 2011 iMac can't be upgraded to Mojave even if I wanted to upgrade.  

Since this will be the first time I refuse to install the new version of MacOS, I am wondering if I can still expect security updates. Also, how long can hang on to High Sierra before it's no longer supported by Apple's ecosystem?

What do you use Back To My Mac for that could not possibly be replaced and done better by a cloud service? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

37 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What do you use Back To My Mac for that could not possibly be replaced and done better by a cloud service? 

When I am using my MacBook Pro, I love that I can easily access the files on my iMac through Finder because of Back To My Mac. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, Part Time Gamer said:

When I am using my MacBook Pro, I love that I can easily access the files on my iMac through Finder because of Back To My Mac. 

iCloud Drive can sync your Desktop and Documents folder between all your devices in addition to storing literally anything else there as well. 

The Back To The Mac service will be shutting down as well, it’s not like Apple is going to keep it operating forever. An alternative is going to have to be found. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

If you don't want to sync your files to the cloud and store them there, there are alternatives.  Resilio uses something similar to how torrents work, but locked down to keep it private to only you so you can sync files between your computers (effectively access what's on one from another) without needing to pay for another service.  That might do what you need.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The thing is I am not interested in syncing anything. iCloud drive is great for keeping a limited number of files available in a place that's accessible to all my devices that have Internet access. That's how I use it anyway.

I love that my MacBook Pro makes MacOS very portable, but I don't save any files to it. If in the course of using my MacBook Pro I need to save something, I save it to my iMac, and it's a seamless experience because I save it to my iMac as easily as I can save it to a folder on my MacBook Pro because of Back To My Mac. I don't know of any 3rd party app that can make access the files on a remote Mac as easy. It's maddening that Apple is going to remove a feature that "just works" away from me. 

That said, I have found that Google's Remote Desktop is actually more reliable than Back To My Mac's Screen Share feature. There have been times when I was away from home and I wanted to access my iMac, and Google's remote tool worked when Apple's Screen Share didn't.  

On 10/13/2018 at 3:16 PM, Part Time Gamer said:

The thing is I am not interested in syncing anything. iCloud drive is great for keeping a limited number of files available in a place that's accessible to all my devices that have Internet access. That's how I use it anyway.

I love that my MacBook Pro makes MacOS very portable, but I don't save any files to it. If in the course of using my MacBook Pro I need to save something, I save it to my iMac, and it's a seamless experience because I save it to my iMac as easily as I can save it to a folder on my MacBook Pro because of Back To My Mac. I don't know of any 3rd party app that can make access the files on a remote Mac as easy. It's maddening that Apple is going to remove a feature that "just works" away from me. 

That said, I have found that Google's Remote Desktop is actually more reliable than Back To My Mac's Screen Share feature. There have been times when I was away from home and I wanted to access my iMac, and Google's remote tool worked when Apple's Screen Share didn't.  

have you tried backup and sync?? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I know on Windows you can do exactly what you want just by having OneDrive installed.  You don't even need to sync anything up to their cloud.

image.png.3f2fff832befd8cca06c2025b4da8cb9.png

Basically you can browse your entire system's files remotely using this.  I'm just not sure if the same feature is offered for MacOS

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It looks like not upgrading didn't help. As of today, it is no longer working. It was fun while it lasted. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 6.42.01 PM.png