Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Must have extension for Chrome for tab addicts

If you are a tabaholic like Linus, you must look into this extension. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg

During a phone call with a friend today, said friend with an older computer was telling me how he has over 100 tabs open at any time. I was wondering how someone with such a limited amount of RAM can handle that many tabs. Then he mentioned this extension. I have gotten better about closing tabs so I don't need it, but I figured some of you might like to know about this extension. I hope Linus sees this. He needs it. 

Added later:

If you give this extension a try, read this post from the developers first. https://github.com/deanoemcke/thegreatsuspender/issues/526

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I've seen someone have so many tabs you can't even read the text anymore, it's just icons.  I thought that was bad

Then I saw them have so many tabs even the icons disappeared and they were legitimately hard to click on, never mind the fact you couldn't even tell what any of them were.  I thought that was the limit.

Then I saw them open so many that they actually became inaccessible.  Yes, new tabs were opening behind the minimize/close buttons and there was no way to get to it.  I only realized this by closing some to figure out what was going on.  I can't believe Chrome worked like this, you would think it would clue in that it needs to scroll at some point but I guess they figured no sane person would ever need that many.

Then I switched them to Firefox

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've seen someone have so many tabs you can't even read the text anymore, it's just icons.  I thought that was bad

Then I switched them to Firefox

One nice thing about Edge is that it gives you a preview of what the tab is when you hover the mouse cursor over it. It's a nice feature that all browsers should have. It's a shame that Edge is hot garbage. 

Just now, Part Time Gamer said:

One nice thing about Edge is that it gives you a preview of what the tab is when you hover the mouse cursor over it. It's a nice feature that all browsers should have. It's a shame that Edge is hot garbage. 

Yeah I doubt anyone has used Edge hardcore enough for that feature to matter xD  Others should steal it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.