Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC - Front Panel Jack Stopped Working (All others never worked)

BlakeJ

recently the front panel 3.5mm jack on my pc is supposedly broken because if i push hard on the head of the cable in one direction i can get it to sense that it is plugged in and play audio if i maintain pressure in that spot, as soon as i release my finger it says its unplugged.

I have a rear panel jack and one on my monitor which both say "HDMI AUDIO" or something on my mixer and they both detect audio when it is being played but no audio actually goes through my headphones and this has been an issue since I purchased the pc and monitor. I have been on these forums to try fix it in the past and everyone said update your drivers which was no help at all but now that my front panel jack (the only one working) is broken, I'm more desperate to get the others working so I can actually play games and listen to music ect.

When switching from on board audio to hdmi audio you have to select the correct output in your audio settings, like this;

1.JPG.48dc47b11b4c1dba3d804f8b2d17b432.JPG2.JPG.ffa4118013bde8650e9069adb8a8bc21.JPG3.JPG.5b196bf2e6a48755d9e71e4e2a81acad.JPG

if you have already done this and/or still want help fixing you built in audio i'm going to need more info

Motherboard make and model

monitor make and model

windows version

Case make and model

audio setup speakers? headphone? mic?

1 hour ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

When switching from on board audio to hdmi audio you have to select the correct output in your audio settings, like this;

1.JPG.48dc47b11b4c1dba3d804f8b2d17b432.JPG2.JPG.ffa4118013bde8650e9069adb8a8bc21.JPG3.JPG.5b196bf2e6a48755d9e71e4e2a81acad.JPG

if you have already done this and/or still want help fixing you built in audio i'm going to need more info

Motherboard make and model

monitor make and model

windows version

Case make and model

audio setup speakers? headphone? mic?

Hey yes I have been doing so. 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5

Monitor: BenQ Zowie XL2730

Windows: Windows 10 Home

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

I have an audiotechnica mic plugged into the front panel USB 3.0 port. I have Razer Leviathan speakers and Audiotechnica headphones of which I switch between the same front panel 3.5mm port as none of my other ports have ever worked (and it gets very annoying)

Hope this helps.

firstly the problem with the front audio jack only working when you apply pressure tells me it is most likely broken, possibly a bad pin in the connector.

I've looked at the info on your hardware, there's no incompatibilities so assuming you are using a modern ish graphics card the audio over hdmi should be working. since its not i would try using a different hdmi cable and/or try using displayport, i would also try a different port on the monitor and graphics card. also make sure your using the correct port on the monitor, the audio out is on the side, the port on the bottom is to pass the mic to the pc.

But having 2 different audio devices not working correctly make me think there is a problem with the windows installation, and since you said you have tried reinstalling the drivers you best bet is to do a clean install of windows. make sure you get an up to date image from microsoft(link below) and up to date drivers from your msi and nvidia/amd. try using the rear audio outputs before installing any drives, this will tell you if there are issues with the realtek driver.

If the problem still persists after a clean install then your motherboard is probably faulty.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 2:32 PM, SuperCloneRanger said:

firstly the problem with the front audio jack only working when you apply pressure tells me it is most likely broken, possibly a bad pin in the connector.

I've looked at the info on your hardware, there's no incompatibilities so assuming you are using a modern ish graphics card the audio over hdmi should be working. since its not i would try using a different hdmi cable and/or try using displayport, i would also try a different port on the monitor and graphics card. also make sure your using the correct port on the monitor, the audio out is on the side, the port on the bottom is to pass the mic to the pc.

But having 2 different audio devices not working correctly make me think there is a problem with the windows installation, and since you said you have tried reinstalling the drivers you best bet is to do a clean install of windows. make sure you get an up to date image from microsoft(link below) and up to date drivers from your msi and nvidia/amd. try using the rear audio outputs before installing any drives, this will tell you if there are issues with the realtek driver.

If the problem still persists after a clean install then your motherboard is probably faulty.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Hey mate

I used dual link but remembered that actually completely removes the monitor audio option in my mixer (not that it works anyway) and it also limits my monitor refresh rate to 60hz when with hdmi I can use 144hz, hence, why ive been using hdmi. I updated drivers again and did a fresh install of windows 10. Where do I go from here? Do I contact MSI or try get the front panel port repaired and ignore the rest.

sorry for the late response, ive been very busy and only just got around to this

*also, in the mixer you can see that it is recognising audio, just not outputting it.