Molex to GTX 950

Jamac

Hey all,

Would it be safe to use to a Molex to PCIe adapter to run my GTX 950?

I'm trying to run an eGPU setup on my laptop (that has already worked with an eGPU setup, so I know that won't be a problem), I have this power supply, it doesn't have a PCIe cable but it has Molex so I want to know if it would work with the GTX 950.

GTX 950 1.jpg

I mean... yeah it will work, but it's usually not recommended

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

It'll work. What power supply are you using?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

18 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It'll work. What power supply are you using?

Great, thanks. So the 950 won't draw too much power from the Molex cable?

I forget the make and model of the power supply, I'm not home till Sunday and I'll clarify that then. All I know is that it didn't have a PCIe cable but it had Molex.

26 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I mean... yeah it will work, but it's usually not recommended

Why Isn't it recommended? Like by doing this is it dangerous (like fire hazard or anything)? Will it work fine as intended to?

1 hour ago, Jamac said:

Great, thanks. So the 950 won't draw too much power from the Molex cable?

If you have a PSU that can provide enough power it should be OK

1 hour ago, Jamac said:

Why Isn't it recommended? Like by doing this is it dangerous (like fire hazard or anything)? Will it work fine as intended to?

You add electrical resistance (more heat and energy losses) but the real reason why many people say this is because PSUs with no VGA connectors are usually garbage or not appropriate for use with a video card.

Of course this isn't always the case

5 hours ago, 17030644 said:

If you have a PSU that can provide enough power it should be OK

You add electrical resistance (more heat and energy losses) but the real reason why many people say this is because PSUs with no VGA connectors are usually garbage or not appropriate for use with a video card.

Of course this isn't always the case

Well it is definitely a much older PSU however it will only be running the graphics card and nothing else so it should be able to provide enough power. Again I do not remember the exact wattage, but I can clarify that tomorrow.