Why is SATA generally configures as NON-hotpluggable.

Go to solution Solved by Sniperfox47,

Mine was on by default and it was kind of more of a PITA than a help because all my main OS drives were showing up as removable in the OS and got mixed in with flash drives and stuff when I went to unmount. It's easier to have it off and turn it on for the drives you need, than to have it on and turn it off for most of your drives.

I was looking in the bios, and I found a setting that makes SATA ports hot pluggable. What makes me curious is that they are set to Disabled by default. Why would a feature such as this be disabled by default?  

I could be totally off on this but iirc it slows down POST, and since almost no one would use it, it makes sense to not do that by default.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That's interesting, one of SATA's main features is that it was hot swappable. I was never aware there was a setting for it, what board do you have?

It's apparently enabled by default on all the boards I have, because I've never had any problems hot swapping SATA drives.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's interesting, one of SATA's main features is that it was hot swappable. I was never aware there was a setting for it, what board do you have?

It's apparently enabled by default on all the boards I have, because I've never had any problems hot swapping SATA drives.

I have the motherboard model in my profile. It is the MSI B350-M pro, the cheapest board for ryzen at the time I bought it. 

Just now, Tedstonegenious said:

I have the motherboard model in my profile. It is the MSI B350-M pro, the cheapest board for ryzen at the time I bought it. 

Interesting, I have the Asrock B350 Pro4.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Well, B350 is the middle grounds chipset for Ryzen. that is probably why the names is so similar

Just now, Tedstonegenious said:

Well, B350 is the middle grounds chipset for Ryzen. that is probably why the names is so similar

But I didn't have to enable hot swapping SATA ports for any of my boards that have it, and this is going as far back as Athlon 64 based systems(Windows XP/Vista days).

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My Asrock X370 Killer sli/ac has it disabled by default.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

So what I have seen so far is that the default setting varies from board to board. meaning the reason is probably not that important. Which makes Ryan_Vickers explanation very likely. 

if the device you're plugging into it is not ever gonna be hot-plugged, there's no reason for setting it as such, because it'll only "pollute" the vareous setting windows.

Mine was on by default and it was kind of more of a PITA than a help because all my main OS drives were showing up as removable in the OS and got mixed in with flash drives and stuff when I went to unmount. It's easier to have it off and turn it on for the drives you need, than to have it on and turn it off for most of your drives.