Facebook releases details on Sept Hack, 30, not 50 million.

rcmaehl

Source:
The Verge

TL;DR:

Facebook has stated 30 million accounts were affected, stolen data includes basic contact information (name and either email or phone number) for 14 million accounts, and additional information including gender, religion, location, device information, and the 15 most recent searches for another 15 million accounts.

Quotes/Excerpts:

In September, a group of hackers used a flaw in Facebook’s “view as” feature to gain unauthorized access to millions of accounts. The hackers stole access tokens for 30 million accounts, allowing them to gain complete access to the profiles. The hackers accessed basic contact information (name and either email or phone number) for 14 million accounts, and additional information including gender, religion, location, device information, and the 15 most recent searches for another 15 million accounts. No information was accessed for the remaining one million accounts. Facebook has pledged to notify all 30 million users through the Help Center in the coming days. No data was taken from third-party apps linked to the accounts, including Facebook products like Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp. There’s also no indication that the hackers posted any content while logged in. The first spike of activity registered on September 14th, but it wasn’t until 11 days later that Facebook identified the activity as a malicious attack.The vulnerability was closed two days later. Facebook also confirmed that the FBI is actively investigating the hack.

My Thoughts:

It's at least at as bad as it could have been. No external websites or apps were accessed, and only basic profile information was stolen. Device information is a bit concerning for SIM swapping but that's the worst I can think of. Any attack would be social engineering based on information gathered past this point.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

14 million accounts, and additional information including gender, religion, location, device information, and the 15 most recent searches for another 15 million account

15 + 14 = 30

4 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

15 + 14 = 30

No information was accessed for the remaining one million accounts is noted in the Quotes/Excerpts.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, VegetableStu said:

hey Facebook, go do a Google+

*runs*

Have another data breach?

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

SHUT DOWN AFTER A DATA BREACH D:<

BUT MY CIRCLES!

LOL, get wrecked Facebook (and affected users).  # ?‍♂️

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:58 PM, Trik'Stari said:

By "stolen" do they mean "sold'?

Or is it "theft" because the bastards didn't pay up?

Or the bastards underpaid and facebook demands they return the goods.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:21 PM, rcmaehl said:

name and either email or phone number) for 14 million accounts, and additional information including gender, religion, location, device information, and the 15 most recent searches for another 15 million accounts.

it doesn't seem to bad, most people have that information public anyway. Still, so much money and this guys can't seem to get their shit straight, it's bad news after bad news.