Remote desktop connection from anywhere

I'll be going to university soon for civil engineering and was wondering instead of having to buy a bulky laptop or an expensive thin laptop to allow me to be able to run programs like AutoCAD, SolidEdge, Envisoneer etc. if I would be able to build my own system and than get a cheap laptop and be able to remotely connect to it from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. So I was wondering what the best built would be, what the laptop to get, and also how or what would allow me to remote desktop connect from anywhere. Plus it would be amazing if Linus could make a video about this or something similar to it.

Ps. I absolutely despise Apple so MacBooks are out of the question.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

How much do you need to do in those programs? Those will all run on a ultra book and do smaller projects just fine. Something like a dell inspiron 15 gaming or simmlar budget gaming laptop will work fine here.

Remote desktop will work, but probably be a bad experience due to the latency and low bandwidth thats common with most wan connections.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much do you need to do in those programs? Those will all run on a ultra book and do smaller projects just fine. Something like a dell inspiron 15 gaming or simmlar budget gaming laptop will work fine here.

Remote desktop will work, but probably be a bad experience due to the latency and low bandwidth thats common with most wan connections.

There is a whole course dedicated to it and so i would think that I would use it quite a bit anywhere from small to mid range projects. The reason I want a powerful system is because I want to be able to open multiple instances of the program and not experience lag because I have to put up with it right now in school. The projects right now are very basic and I'm using the school's Lenovo PC and that can't handle more than one instance being opened at once. Plus some of  the programs require at least a 2gb dedicated graphics card.

8 minutes ago, Veelox said:

There is a whole course dedicated to it and so i would think that I would use it quite a bit anywhere from small to mid range projects. The reason I want a powerful system is because I want to be able to open multiple instances of the program and not experience lag because I have to put up with it right now in school. The projects right now are very basic and I'm using the school's Lenovo PC and that can't handle more than one instance being opened at once. Plus some of  the programs require at least a 2gb dedicated graphics card.

I have taken intro classes like this, and a midrange gaming laptop will work fine. 

Why not get a budget gaming laptop. It seems like the best option here. Remote desktop won't work well 

Perhaps you should try and connect with the Institution you are considering attending first and asking if they offer as part of their fee structure access to software programs that are needed in the course(s) you wish to take. Then ask if they have any remote access systems to allow enrolled students to use those programs.

Link

Applications offered at MQU in iLab

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).