Is it better for me to be safe than sorry?

As part of upgrading a pre-built dell machine from 2015, I will be replacing the current 3.2ghz i5-4460 with a 4ghz i7-4790k.

The 4790k will cost me $520 with the tax here in Canada. I got the $520 figure from a local computer store that said they can order it in for me, I was saving over a couple months, and I should have all the needed funds in about 2 weeks time.

While I was able to do research and confirm that the 4790k will work with my system, I have zero experience with installing coolers and processors, and while I have theoretical knowledge of what to do, I don't want to jeopardize something expensive like this with my lack of actual experience.

I am thinking of also asking the store if they can remove my old processor and cooler, and then install the new one, just so I don't end up ruining it.

Also, I will not be overclocking it, because the air flow in my case just doesn't allow for that, so would I be good using the stock thermal paste and cooler that intel ships with the processor? I am considering buying my own good thermal paste either way though.

520$ is pretty steep, at that point I would look into just replacing the motherboard processor and ram altogether 

Computer building isnt that hard, watch a few videos to get a grip on it and you'll be fine.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

What cooler are you using? Chances are you don't have to worry about damaging anything whatsoever.

Also, I'm selling a gold sample 4790k that overclocks at a really low temperature if you want me to pimp my link here. $300 US (or less if you win a bid on it) ?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You can find used 4790ks for a few hundred bucks.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What cooler are you using? Chances are you don't have to worry about damaging anything whatsoever.

Also, I'm selling a gold sample 4790k that overclocks at a really low temperature if you want me to pimp my link here. $300 US (or less if you win a bid on it) ?

#shamelessplug #iwantthelinkjusttoseewhatfrequencyyoureached

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I don't know, but It just looks like a regular stock cooler. $300 US with the conversion and shipping may be just as, if not more expensive so not much inventive for that, unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

#shamelessplug #iwantthelinkjusttoseewhatfrequencyyoureached

I don't think I put that info but I was cruising at 4.7 with 1.2 volts on my hyper 212 Evo with only the stock fan. Temps hit 65C after stress tests 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

I don't know, but It just looks like a regular stock cooler. $300 US with the conversion and shipping may be just as, if not more expensive so not much inventive for that, unfortunately.

If you take a picture of the cooler we could probably find a YouTube video of how to install it. Also, it's a crime to leave a CPU as good as a 4790k under stock heat sink so you'd be better off with a new one if that's the case.

Edit: also, $300 US is about $390 Canadian, so unless shipping on a tiny box is $130 you'll be saving.

Primary PC:

Dude return that thing asap! $520 is horrible for that cpu! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

17 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If you take a picture of the cooler we could probably find a YouTube video of how to install it. .

I literally have to go to sleep right now, so I can't take my system down and open it right now, but maybe after the grind at work tomorrow I will remember, that is if I am not too "influenced" by the Jack Daniel's Whiskey and Cola mix I am gonna buy on the way home.

I will think about it for sure.