Anyone else have the "not slow enough" problem?

emosun

Does anyone else have the "not slow enough" problem? My main computer is 9 years old this year , however it tends to be considerably faster than anything that could replace it in a decent price range.

I honestly thought this year would be the year that I finally update the platform , however after having the parts sitting in the shopping cart for a few months and thinking it over I feel like the upgrade just isn't worth the cost. Generally i like to double everything every upgrade provided it's a reasonable price but i just haven't seen that despite avoiding the totally useless ddr4.

Does anyone else have a rig that's very old , but not slow enough to justify the cost of changing it? I feel like I have to wait another few years before something cheap enough pops up.

I had this problem too, but it's as simple as keeping it until you find a game it can't run. There's no issue with old hardware as long as you keep it in clean and running condition. Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Does anyone else have the "not slow enough" problem? My main computer is 9 years old this year , however it tends to be considerably faster than anything that could replace it in a decent price range.

I honestly thought this year would be the year that I finally update the platform , however after having the parts sitting in the shopping cart for a few months and thinking it over I feel like the upgrade just isn't worth the cost. Generally i like to double everything every upgrade provided it's a reasonable price but i just haven't seen that despite avoiding the totally useless ddr4.

Does anyone else have a rig that's very old , but not slow enough to justify the cost of changing it? I feel like I have to wait another few years before something cheap enough pops up.

Honestly, I believe my 7 year old 8200 compaq elite meets this criteria, that is why I went through the effort to install a GTX 1050 in it.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

My old i5-650, 8GB DDR3, GT 710 system is still walking on two legs, except in games it can't run such as Overwatch.

It gets a 100-200CB score, for the record, in contrast to the 1100-1200CB score I get with my current PC.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I like to call it the "I really wanna upgrade it but cant justify it" itch (that I recently broke when I went from the 970 to 1080ti) but the rest of my system,m functions perfectly, and I'm not outgrowing it in terms of needs.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Honestly, I believe my 7 year old 8200 compaq elite meets this criteria, that is why I went through the effort to install a GTX 1050 in it.

well i also have a tendency to simply not do things that i know the machine cannot do which i don't think is helping at all lol.

if i find a task i can't run due to some service pack requirement or something i just don't do that task

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

My old i5-650, 8GB DDR3, GT 710 system is still walking on two legs, except in games it can't run such as Overwatch.

It gets a 100-200CB score, for the record, in contrast to the 1100-1200CB score I get with my current PC.

if my machine gave me a 1200 in cb i'd be very upset! lol

I like to push my hardware as far as it can go(safely) and run it into the ground before ditching it.

I'm gonna keep running my GTX 780 until it can't fulfill my needs, and then I'll find another use for it outside of my main gaming rig.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, emosun said:

if my machine gave me a 1200 in cb i'd be very upset! lol

I'm a mid-ranger, I don't need the highest scores in the world! (is what I tell myself to validate my PC's performance)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I have that kinda issue in regards ot my PC, with the exception of the GPU.

My 780 could use replacing tbh, its heavily OC'ed (1250-1300 on the core with 1.3v .. which is alot) but is getting long in the tooth now.

Current prices however are to inflatted for my likeing. I can afford to upgrade, but on principal i wont spend that much. Im a Scrooge with my money, i dont like spending it when i know its a bad deal, getitng riped of, or padding the wallets as*hole people/companies, its why i have a good amount of saving dispite being on the lower end of the income spectrum.

The rest of my system though (in sig) is still more than capable.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

current prices are to inflatted for my likeing.

Have you checked the used market lately? You can find everything between a 1070 and 1080 for in the region of 200 USD from people trying to offload for Turing.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Have you checked the used market lately? You can find everything between a 1070 and 1080 for in the region of 200 USD from people trying to offload for Turing.

Yea iv been trying to grab a couple 1080ti's ..but in the UK people are still selling them for around the £500 mark. Considering i can get themfrom retailers,NEW, for £580 ...those used prices are stupid..yet people are buyign them, so sellers will sell them at those prices. Too many idiots buying up used cards for too much.

When i can grab a 1080ti for £350-£400, ill upgrade, untill then ..forget it, Im not paying that close to retail for a used card.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

well i also have a tendency to simply not do things that i know the machine cannot do which i don't think is helping at all lol.

if i find a task i can't run due to some service pack requirement or something i just don't do that task

Honestly My PC has yet to meet a task that it has not been able to ably handle. Though I have been skimping out on my game budget so I have yet to put it up against say Battlefront 2 (2017) or against GTA V.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Honestly My PC has yet to meet a task that it has not been able to ably handle. Though I have been skimping out on my game budget so I have yet to put it up against say Battlefront 2 (2017) or against GTA V.

You could probably manage GTA V, but BF2 is gonna be a tough one. GTA V runs on older and lower end systems surprisingly well with some fine tuned settings.

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Try Monster Hunter World.

Nothing less than a 1080ti can mantian 60FPS max settings @ 1080p ! .

Wanna try 4k ..well even a 2080ti cant maintain 60 FPS lol.

Largest priority for me now is finding ways of watching UHD content on a desktop. Its been driving force for upgrades to my main desktop

Amazon are still to do UHD Prime Video for desktops, and other than that it is undisputed difficult to watch UHD Blu-Ray on PC, as you must have a UHD Blu-Ray player, correct software for UHD Blu-Ray, the physical media itself and all of the DRM stuff that comes after with HDCP & Intel SGX if I am correct.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

This problem was not a problem i had with my Bulldozer ??

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Largest priority for me now is finding ways of watching UHD content on a desktop. Its been driving force for upgrades to my main desktop

Amazon are still to do UHD Prime Video for desktops, and other than that it is undisputed difficult to watch UHD Blu-Ray on PC, as you must have a UHD Blu-Ray player, correct software for UHD Blu-Ray, the physical media itself and all of the DRM stuff that comes after with HDCP & Intel SGX if I am correct.

Speaking of Blu-ray, do you have a way to get it to work with VLC? Because at the moment my Blu-Ray player is a glorified DVD RW drive.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Speaking of Blu-ray, do you have a way to get it to work with VLC, because at the moment my Blu-Ray player is a glorified DVD RW drive.

It's a pain in the arse

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

i own a dual xeon 12 core system from 2010, which i built for fun because old server stuff is very cheap. the only reason i switched back to my i5 system (which i had before the xeon machine) is power consumption. and maybe sata 3. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i own a dual xeon 12 core system from 2010, which i built for fun because old server stuff is very cheap. the only reason i switched back to my i5 system (which i had before the xeon machine) is power consumption. and maybe sata 3. 

xeon buddies 

2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

It's a pain in the arse

So I have seen.

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Try Monster Hunter World.

Nothing less than a 1080ti can mantian 60FPS max settings @ 1080p ! .

Wanna try 4k ..well even a 2080ti cant maintain 60 FPS lol.

Thats because its not optimized well. But with just my 1080 i can run 1080p 60fps.