How can I damage my battery?

Hi, so you know how your parents tell you things like "Wait until your phone says it needs to charge"; "Dont use your phone while it is charging" and all that stuff. So I have talked with my dad about this, because he likes electronics and it is like his hobby. He said that he actually doesnt know if it is true or not. And now I have got a new phone (S9+) and I am scared if i will damage my battery. So I want to know if any of these are true. I am actually not sure if they are too, because I already tried charging when it is at like at 50% and for the first few days everything was fine. Now I am seeing that my battery is getting drained pretty fast even when I dont use the phone. I dont know why is that happening. And now I was just watching it using like 3% in a hour and I remembered that I watched a video where they said that a simple restart can fix anything. I tried it and it is working for now, knock on wood. The battery is doing ok. So... Again... Is this whole bullshit true or not. And if yes it would be great if you can explain to me why is that happening. I am just wondering. :)

It's generally fine to use your phone while it's charging. However, don't do it all day because it CAN overheat. So let's say you're just simply watching youtube or browsing the net, that's fine. 

If you're playing a game on your phone while it's charging, that's a bit different. Your phone has to work a lot harder when it's running games, that's the only thing I wouldn't do while it's charging. 

All that stuff about charging doesn't mean much when it comes to real world use, and only using 3% of the battery every hour is relatively normal. The restart making the the phone use less of the battery is most likely because of the apps that are shut down and don't start again until you use them. You shouldn't be worried about damaging the battery at all unless you make it overheat often, etc.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I am worried, because I see all these videos of battery drain test and all that and there the phones are being use like 6-7 hours without dying and I am not really sure if I am getting the same results. I mean... The phone still has warranty on it, so if I notice a problem I can give it to them, but I dont know what are the other people experiencing. I might just measure the time its battery is drained.