The COOLEST Box I’ve EVER Opened

Check out Intel's 8086K ad featuring Linus & other influencers: https://youtu.be/ipRh4G7zweA

AnneMunition
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnneMunition
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/annemunition

Sevadus
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sevadus
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/sevadus

AIEKILLU
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Aiekillu
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/aiekillu

Buy Intel 8086K on Amazon: http://geni.us/xlAVrb

Glass kills it imo. It just looks so out of place given it's raised so high. 

Monitor is really cool, but cuts off part of the picture so not practical.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

How much do they suck, Linus?

solid comma placement.  ?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Waddles fragile crate around like nothing (I hope it was empty at that time)

Throws screws on sofa for future butt hurt...

Realizes his mistake before butt hurt... (hope you didn't miss one!)

He later claims they did a amazing job in detail, yet they have failed to supply him with 2 fully functional floppy drives...

Brandon wasn't ruining it, it was already ruined once the floppies where not functional.

No one around Linus tells him the bots are set on easy :P

However the glass did destroy it. Everything else I can live with but that glass needs to go.

Btw you can still buy 5150s lol...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOKS-LIKE-IT-WAS-NEVER-USED-IBM-5150-COMPUTER-PC-Keyboard-Monitor-Software-/352481750148 (the description is actually funny)

How are thermals on the 8086k with a 120mm rad?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Please make some pretty pictures, with the right keyboard. I need to convince someone (the wife) that we need such a thing as the living room PC

Water cooled. hard tube. Turn the top plexi into a custom res with a logo of some sort as the water channels.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Does anybody have a link to the white Logitech mouse shown in the video?

Wow, that's amazing. Atarashi Electronics actually does that exact thing. We are working on a similar model. Looking forward to any new updates on your system, LMG

They really need to make another sleeper, I really enjoyed those videos and they even said they were going to make a third one called "Margret" and haven't yet.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

For an upgrade suggestion I say frost the acrylic top and have RGB LEDs firing into it to create an ambient glowing plate. While it makes it look less of sleeper machine I believe it would as a nice touch.

Here are some ideas for the type of mods that would be cool.

-Make a turbo button (blue, preferably) that just increases fan speed or maybe loads the pc with an overclock profile.

-Make those 5.25 floppy drives accept SSDs, to read them when the switch flips and ejects properly.

-Make the monitor click in on top of the pc, just like a keyboard clips on an IBM Portable PC.

Any mods you guys do, I'll be more than happy to check out.

I think I would literally cry if I got something that nice gifted to me by anyone.

Also what watch is linus wearing in this video?

I would throw a pair of tape drives into those 5.25 inch bays if it was me, but something suggests the GPU is taking up that space back there  ? Also, the monitor should be sitting ON TOP OF the box. And yes, you need a Model M keyboard for that with matching mouse/trackball.

My idea of retro would have been completely different though - get a old 21 inch CRT monitor, gut the internals and place a miniITX mobo in there, run extensions down to the desktop box and place all the drives and GPU in the box along with the PSU. You could easily hack a LCD into the CRT frame, or even better, mock up a CRT frame around a modern IPS panel. It would take some work to build, but if done right, I think would look pretty spectacular.

Needs an actual last-huraah-of-the-CRT monitor like the Sony FW900. Come to think of it, surprised there isn't an episode of LTT exploring the 2K monitor from... 2002?!

Other than that, the internals being painted beige would be a nice touch, or even doing a total custom CPU heatsink/radiator to look like the old PCBs inside the IBM 5150.

I'm just glad this didn't cannibalize an IBM5100. We need those intact if we're ever going to thwart SERN.

9 hours ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

Needs an actual last-huraah-of-the-CRT monitor like the Sony FW900. Come to think of it, surprised there isn't an episode of LTT exploring the 2K monitor from... 2002?!

THIS.

A FW900 paired with that machine would be awesome. (or the identical "HP A7217A" )

Though my worry is LTT's competence with CRT monitor review. I mean when it comes to TV's they have a tendency to give out less than accurate information in regards to OLED. I'd hate to see a trainwreck of a review on the legendary FW900.

If they did get a good FW900 to pair with the machine and review, they would need to properly calibrate it, and do some testing to see how far they can push their particular screen in regards to resolution and frequency. And do some side by side comparions to LCD, to show just how much a difference there is for those younger viewers who never had the pleasure of using an old CRT.

They could do 1920 x 1200 at almost 100hz, and you could go higher in res or hz. I.E 2304x1440 at 80hz, or 1536x960 at 120hz. and ofc you have the stunning contrast and overall picture quality that trounces LCD.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |