Host Website

FaiL___

Hi, I am looking to find a cheap service to host my website. I'm studying compsci at uni and do not need a website builder. All I need is somewhere where I can upload my files and give them the domain I own and have them host it. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for and was wondering if anyone had an idea of such a place. It would also preferably be hosted in the UK. Cheers in advance.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

10 minutes ago, FaiL___ said:

Hi, I am looking to find a cheap service to host my website. I'm studying compsci at uni and do not need a website builder. All I need is somewhere where I can upload my files and give them the domain I own and have them host it. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for and was wondering if anyone had an idea of such a place. It would also preferably be hosted in the UK. Cheers in advance.

You can pretty easily host em yourself if you've got a computer you're willing to leave running permanently.

If not there's a place in Ireland where you can rent an Atom dedicated server for like a fiver a month, perfect for hosting a website. I had one for 12 months and run a SAMP server from it.

I should say they only support Linux installations officially but if you Google "Kimsufi Windows" theres unofficial ways to install Windows Server 08/12 or 7/8.1 very easily.

https://www.kimsufi.com/uk/

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

You can pretty easily host em yourself if you've got a computer you're willing to leave running permanently.

If not there's a place in Ireland where you can rent an Atom dedicated server for like a fiver a month, perfect for hosting a website. I had one for 12 months and run a SAMP server from it.

https://www.kimsufi.com/uk/

Yeah, I wish I could have something that I could run 24/7, but I need my laptop for Uni work and my desktop will probably burn the house down. I'll have a look at that site though.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

3 minutes ago, FaiL___ said:

Yeah, I wish I could have something that I could run 24/7, but I need my laptop for Uni work and my desktop will probably burn the house down. I'll have a look at that site though.

I should say they only support Linux installations officially but if you Google "Kimsufi Windows" theres unofficial ways to install Windows Server 08/12 or 7/8.1 very easily.

Obviously you'd need to install LAMP, WAMP, IIS or whatever server you want to actually host the website manually but it's a full server and not just a webhost :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Obviously you'd need to install LAMP, WAMP, IIS or whatever server you want to actually host the website manually but it's a full server and not just a webhost :)

Yeah, at the minute I'm just using lamp on my laptop (it's ubuntu anyway) and I'm just accessing it through localhost, doing the same thing on my desktop, but thought it might be easier if I could host it externally so I could access it while away.

Cheap hosting? Check out forums online for cheap services, I use both Litehost.net and shockhosting.net for cheap web hosting.  I have a website up on shockhosting for like 5.99 every 3 months or so I think, so around 24$ a year.  Litehost changed owners so idk if Id go back to them before I check up on the impact of that, but it was even cheaper with a code off (like 0.50$ a month)

Shockhosting just has a simple cpannel setup, you can just use the file manager to upload your project files and edit them in the browser using the built-in text editor.  It supports databases and phpmyadmin, as well as email accounts. Great for projects like you are talking about.

Amazon - AWS S3 + Route 53 is as cheap as it gets and it's super fast... Basically you only pay for usage. 

It's a little more technical but being a comp-sci grad I think you can handle it and the little bit of googling to figure it out :)

Basically costs me $0.09 a month to host a site I use for messing around with HTML, CSS & JS.

Maybe look at KinggHosting (https://kingg-hosting.com) I host my website there for like 0,99 a month and that will allow you to host 25 different websites.. and their unlimited is like 4,99.
Coolest thing I like is they run on SSD (cPanel) so its fast and they have free SSL + softaculous (1 click app installer).

There is Digitalocean or Vultr, both of which offer VERY cheap VPS hosting, with CentOS or ubuntu.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, FaiL___ said:

If you use MS technologies at all then I can't recommend Azure enough. The initial tier is free, but you don't get your own domain, the next tier up (which you need to azure to host your domain) is paid for but I host a site on it that is around 500Mb at the moment (mainly images) with my own domain and I currently pay £8 a month all in (it gets about 20 views a day mainly viewing the images, which are all around 1mb in size, and most of my cost is bandwidth). 

If, however, your domain is with a hosting provider already (and you can control the C-Names) then you can simply forward your domain to the one azure assigns you (will be <yoursite>.cloudapps.net) and stick with the free tier of hosting. Use a keep alive service to make sure they don't de-prioritise your site and you'll be done.

Because it's completely free it's worth checking out, and remember you can always up and downgrade at any point. It also has VS integration (remember that VS 2017 community is also free) so, once setup, publishing your site to production is a two click process.